Saturday, September 19, 2026

2014/2015 Saga Reader Survey

1. Who was President (or your nation’s political equivalent) when you were born?

President Peanut. Jimmy Carter.

2. And if it’s not prying, what is your gender identity?

None of the above fits me best.

3. Have you ever personally ignited a road flare, and if so, what were the circumstances?

I think I did, once, to light a bonfire on a beach, but I might be confusing something I saw on TV with a memory.

4. What was the first comic book that got you hooked on this medium?

The funnies in the newspaper were the beginning. Then my mom gave the Richie Rich and other Harvey comics she got as a kid to me and my brothers. But finding Justice League America and Justice League Europe on the spinner rack in the grocery store is what really pulled me in.

5. Approximately how many countries have you visited in your life?

2. The USA, where I live, and Mexico, which I visited for about 2 hours when my Uncle and his *not* girlfriend went to buy weight loss drugs while I was staying with him as a babysitter for a month. He lived near the boarder at the time.

6. Sexting: hot or absurd?

I think sexting is silly for me, but I can understand why others think it’s hot.

7. Where do you fall in the birth order? Oldest, youngest, middle? Or no siblings at all, you unfairly stigmatized only child?

I was the first child for my parents and the first grandchild for my grandparents, but the second great-grandchild for the great-grandparents who were alive at the time.

8. What was the last great novel (without illustrations) that you read?

The last novel I read was Carl's Doomsday Scenario, which was a lot of fun. The last GREAT novel I read was To Kill a Mockingbird, which I used to read every spring and I hope to start that tradition back up next spring.

9. How much would you say that you support Israel’s actions in Gaza on a scale of 1 (not at all) to 10 (completely)?

Back when the survey was written it was probably a 2 or 3, now it’s a 1. I wish the whole world would admit that Israel is never going to allow a second state, so they need to enfranchise all the Palestinians with minimum guarantees of representation in the Knesset and international security to protect the newly enfranchised people.

10. What are your ideal movie theater snacks?

Whichever snack I’m currently popping is my mouth while at the movie theater is the ideal snack.

11. Do you think your parents are proud of you?

I don’t think that they’re disappointed in me, but I don’t know if they are proud. I’m sure if I asked, they would say they are, even if they weren’t.

12. Have you ever gone hunting?

No, I have not.

13. What is your kryptonite?

I don’t think people often answer this question correctly. Kryptonite is something that causes Superman pain and can kill him. People will answer with a “tee hee, frappuccinos.” Superman does not go out seeking kryptonite without serious personal protection. People pay way too much money for the honor of ingesting frappuccinos. So, my kryptonite should be something I know harms me that I wouldn’t choose to interact with unless I protected myself. I guess a gas leak is my kryptonite.

14. If you were on Celebrity Jeopardy, which charity would you be playing for?

I don’t have any specific charities in mind, but it’d be for foster kids.

15. What is the worst thing you’ve ever been called?

I don’t know. Most of the things that I’ve been called to my face are either true (I’ve been fat for as long as I remember.) or never felt like insults to me. I assume the worst things I’ve been called were said when I couldn’t hear.

16. Favorite Saturday morning cartoon when you were a kid?

I always watched The Smurfs on Saturday mornings. I’d force my brothers to change the channel when it came on, even if they were enjoying something different.

17. What is the most embarrassing thing about your current browser history?

I think when I accidently opened a link to ChatGTP is probably still in my history.

18. If you were trapped on a desert island, what one video game would you want with you?

I think a The Legend of Zelda game. Either The Wind Waker or A Link Between Worlds.

19. When was the last time you needed to be brave?

I can’t remember ever feeling brave.

20. How many tattoos do you have.

None. Sometimes I think it would be funny to get the hanzi for penis on one inside wrist and the hanzi for vagina on the other. I’m in on the joke that way.

21. Have you ever seen someone die with your own eyes?

I have not.

22. What is the last music you actually paid for?

I bought the cast album for the two seasons of Galavant for my birthday this year. It’s delightful.

23. How many alcoholic beverages do you normally consume in a week? Truthfully?

Zero. I don’t like the taste of alcohol.

24. Do you think college is important?

Yes, but I want to acknowledge that college isn’t for everyone and it shouldn’t have to be, but so many jobs out there just expect someone to have some sort of a degree and the way high school counselors push college on everyone without a thought on what the student wants or needs almost makes it required. Ultimately, you may earn a degree, but you only really get out of college what you are willing to work for.

25. What do you hope your legacy will be?

I’m uncomfortable thinking that I might leave a legacy. The best I can muster is that I hope the people I knew remember me as being kind.

No comments: