Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Anniversary

Today, I completed, what I consider, the last day of my first year back at 'Bucks. I've been worked at least three days a week, except for my first week in Cowcity in January, for 'Bucks for the past 366 days. Yesterday began a new year for when I turned in an application to get rehired. Today began a new year for the first day I got paid again for doing stuff at a 'Bucks, filling out paperwork for an hour. Tomorrow begins a new year making drinks for people.

I only worked five hours, and spent them in a decent mood. When GIESW told a customer she was off for the last couple of days, I said I thought she was off all the time and made my crinkled retard face, hand flying up to my chest; we all laughed. I told FLIG that if she got me a hippopotamus for Christmas (no rhinoceros-us-uses, please) I'd help her find people for her white slavery ring; I laughed, GIESW laughed, and FLIG looked me up and down and asked to see my teeth first. When The Manager started to tell me about what a wonderful time OWGAWE is having in Italy, I said that OWGAWE just wants to make us all jealous so she can feel better about herself while we all feel worse; The Manager tried to argue, but couldn't. I loaned GGWB my Popular discs and was happy to make her smile.

A whole year with this company again. All day, I keep asking myself how I did it. How did I survive a year serving coffee to people when only 10%, on a good day, seem to actually appreciate it? And then I remind myself that I need money--to have a place to live, a car to drive, food to eat, comics to read, TV to watch--and no where else will hire me and suddenly, it doesn't seem so hard, just desperate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations.
I am sure your heart was touched with love all day.

Q