Wednesday, September 23, 2026

2024 Saga Reader Survey

1. How’s your eyesight?

Without my glasses most everything is blurry, but I can still make out some details. The worst this is as my prescription settled down for distance, I started needing help to see up close. How can I be nearsighted and farsighted at the same time?

2. If you were a bird, what kind of bird would you be?

I’d be a kiwi. Probably a north island brown.

3. Are you worried about how artificial intelligence might impact your job?

A little. I work in human resources and don’t think the irony of replacing all the humans with computers is enough to stop it.

4. Pickleball: yea or nay?

I’m not a fan of the game, but I’m cool with other people playing.

5. Have you ever attended an anti-war demonstration?

Yeah, I attended a couple when Bush Jr. started his wars.

6. If you had to spend six months aboard the International Space Station with one breakfast cereal mascot, living or dead, which mascot would you choose?

Buzz the Bee.

7. Ever been involved in an automobile accident?

Fortunately, I have not been in any auto collisions.

8. What’s the hottest sex scene from a television program?

The sex between Gretchen and Jimmy in the first episode of You’re the Worst is pretty hot.

9. If you remember, how and when did you first start reading Saga?

I bought the first two trades to give as a gift, and as I do with all comics I give as a gift, I read them first. This was 2014 or 2015.

10. Possibly related: what were you up to in 2012?

I did a lot of interviewing for promotion.

11. Can you do crow pose?

I don’t know what “crow pose” is. Hold on.

No. No, I cannot.

12. This is definitely not a contest, but roughly how many “followers” do you have on social media?

I think I have about 60 followers on Tumblr and my Blogspot blog is only read by me and bots. I haven’t looked at Facebook since Trump 1.0 and the other sites I was part of I either deleted my accounts long ago or have disappeared from the interblah entirely.

13. Best compliment you’ve ever received?

A friend once told other friends that he thought I was the mostly likely person he knew to write like John Kennedy Toole. I have my doubts that I’ll ever live up to that, but it’s something worth striving for if I ever start writing again.

14. Variant covers: scourge of the comic book industry, fun collectible, or subject you couldn’t possibly care about less?

I don’t like them. I don’t like the creation of artificial scarcity. I think I’d be less anti variant if they put pictures of all the covers in the back of the issue so I could see them. I feel the same way about the extras in collected editions. I like floppies and I wish the behind-the-scenes stuff was also shared with floppy readers.

15. How many hours of sleep did you get last night?

About 4 hours. Sometime I get in a mood where I want to hold off tomorrow for as long as possible and since time disappears while I sleep, the only way to do that is to stay awake longer.

16. Hey, were you at the Eras Tour?

I don’t know what that is. Give me a sec.

No. I can appreciate Taylor Swift’s music when I hear it, but I’m not gonna go seeking it out.

17. Are you that mythical creature known as a homeowner?

I live in a house that that I’m slowly paying the bank for. If all goes well I will be a homeowner in about 25 years. Ugh. Forever from now.

18. Have you ever broken someone’s heart?

If I have, no one told me.

19. Brian here, and this isn’t a binding poll, but for my next comics project, should I write Spider-Man, Superman, or something original?

If you need the cash, Superman. Otherwise, I’d like you to stick with original.

20. Do you have children? If not, do you think you might someday?

No. When I was a kid, I thought spouses and kids just sort of happened, but they’re not something I ever actively pursued.

21. Last time you attended a funeral?

The last real funeral with all the religious claptrap was 2003-ish for my great grandmother. The last “Celebration of Life” I attended was in 2015 for a grandmother. I missed the “Celebration of Life” for my other grandma in 2023 because I had the flu and there were lots of old people who attended.

22. I don’t think I ever once drank water as a kid, did you?

My dad was (and still is) convinced that drinking water somehow is the cure for all headaches, colds, flus, and other ailments. When we said we felt bad, he’d hand us a glass of water and wait as we drank it.

23. What do you want, really?

To feel emotions again.

24. If you have a partner or partners, do you share your comics with them?

No, but I’m always willing to share my comics.

25. Are you working on anything cool at the moment?

Not at this time or in the foreseeable future.

No comments: