Thursday, January 29, 2004

OSCAR TIME!!!

Understand, I have no good basis for telling you who I think should win at this years Oscars, but I'm gonna do it anyway, at least in the categories I think I understand. Oh, and I'm doing this as if I were the only voter, these are who I would pick based on the movies I've seen this year.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Johnny Depp - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL
Ben Kingsley - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
Jude Law - COLD MOUNTAIN
Bill Murray - LOST IN TRANSLATION
Sean Penn - MYSTIC RIVER

This one's simple, it should go to Bill Murray for being amazing and for not getting a nomination for Rushmore. This was not the Bill Murray from Ghost Busters or Groundhog Day, this is Bill Murray being brilliant. Sure, the other actors are amazing (although I haven't seen these movies, I've seen them in other things), but Murray was outstanding. It was the Bill Murray I've seen before, but only in appearance, the attitude and mannerisms had me completely mystified. I hope he's the winner.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Keisha Castle-Hughes - WHALE RIDER
Diane Keaton - SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE
Samantha Morton - IN AMERICA
Charlize Theron - MONSTER
Naomi Watts - 21 GRAMS

Keisha Castle-Hughes is my choice. Sure, kids rarely win, but she was great in Whale Rider and since I haven't seen the supposedly amazing performance by Charlize Theron, I'm sticking to my choice until I see Monster, probably on video in several months.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Alec Baldwin - THE COOLER
Benicio Del Toro - 21 GRAMS
Djimon Hounsou - IN AMERICA
Tim Robbins - MYSTIC RIVER
Ken Watanabe - THE LAST SAMURAI

I haven't seen any of these movies, but I'm saying that I want Alec Baldwin to win just because I like the guy when he does interviews or when he appears on Saturday Night Live. Does anyone else remember the brilliant sketch "The Mimic"? Seriously, though, he's a great actor even if he's been in some horrible movies. Let's see him get the little gold man this year.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Shohreh Aghdashloo - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
Patricia Clarkson - PIECES OF APRIL
Marcia Gay Harden - MYSTIC RIVER
Holly Hunter - THIRTEEN
Renée Zellweger - COLD MOUNTAIN

I've only seen Thirteen out of these movies, and while I think Holly Hunter was good, I don't know if she is deserving of another Oscar. So, I guess I won't be making a choice on this, I'm just hoping that Renée Zellweger doesn't win. The only role she nailed was Bridget Jones, but she didn't win for that, now did she.

DIRECTING
CITY OF GOD
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
LOST IN TRANSLATION
MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
MYSTIC RIVER


Part of me wants City of God to win because I kinda like to see foreign films take major Oscars away from American films, but if I have to be honest, which I like to be, I have to give this award to Sophia Coppola for her masterful work in Lost in Translation. Sure, she was a horrible actress, but the two films she's directed have been amazing pieces of work. I think, given time and opportunity, she's gonna outshine her dad as a director.

MUSIC (SCORE)
BIG FISH
COLD MOUNTAIN
FINDING NEMO
HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING


Many people out there are going to be saying that Howard Shore should win for his epic style music in The Lord of the Ring: The Return of the King, but I disagree. The winner should be Danny Elfman for the emotional score beneath Big Fish. Elfman is one of the most talented composers film has right now and he has earned an award with this film.

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
AMERICAN SPLENDOR
CITY OF GOD
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
MYSTIC RIVER
SEABISCUIT


Simply, American Splendor is the best one in this category. If this film was in the Best Picture category, I'd have a tough time choosing a winner, but it's only in this one category and must be declared the winner.

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS
DIRTY PRETTY THINGS
FINDING NEMO
IN AMERICA
LOST IN TRANSLATION


While I don't think I had more fun at the theater last year than when I went and saw Finding Nemo, Lost in Translation is the better film and the better screenplay. It has everything that I want in a screenplay and more. Another Oscar to Sophia Coppola

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
BROTHER BEAR
FINDING NEMO
THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE


Once again, Finding Nemo was an outstanding film, but not the best in this category. That goes to The Triplets of Belleville because it is a brilliant movie that uses many forms of animation to great effect. I'm pretty sure it'll be the winner. This is the only category I have faith in me being right because last year they choose Spirted Away last year rather than the normal American stuff.

BEST PICTURE
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
LOST IN TRANSLATION
MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD
MYSTIC RIVER
SEABISCUIT


Once again, Lost in Translation is the great winner. Go and see it and you'll understand why.

No comments: