Sunday, May 16, 2004

Short Version

Okay, I've seen many movies since the last time I wrote. Since I don't feel like writing out long reviews for everything, I'm going to give you the short version.

Jersy Girl--5 April 2004
Good movie. Not Kevin Smith's best, that honor still rests with Chasing Amy, but better than Dogma. It's the story of a man raising his daughter after his wife dies in child birth. Many laughs and scrunched faces trying to hold back the tears. The Sweeney Todd stuff alone was worth the admission price.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind--5 April 2004
Movies like this are what make me want to work in that industry. What would your life be like if you could erase all your memories involved with one person? That's what this film is about on one level, but there are so many levels. I wish that I could go see it again so that I can just get that moment of pure "WOW" when it ends.

Hellboy--8 April 2004
Eh, it was okay. Sort of a normal comic book movie: introduce the origin of the main character, introduce the bad guy, introduce supporting character, kill an important supporting character (a father figure if you can), make the main character choose between being a hero or not, happy ending. Some of the special effects were good, but whenever Hellboy was CGI, he became way too floppy. I wasn't excited to go see it, and wasn't excited to have seen it. At least it was a cheap movie.

Kill Bill, volume 2--18 April 2004
Great movie, except for one thing. I liked the first and was so happy when the second came out. This one finishes the quest of revenge for The Bride. She meets her child, we learn her name, and she accomplishes the title of the film. (Was there ever any doubt?) The dialogue is crisp, better than that which was found in Pulp Fiction, and popping. And there's a martial arts master with a long fake beard. The only thing that I didn't like was the last fight with Bill. Just watch the film, and you'll see what I mean.

13 Going on 30--9 May 2004
All the old ladies in the audience summed this one up well when they said, "That was cute." It's not exactly the Big retread that I thought it would be, which is good. A girl in the 80s turns thirteen, wishes she was thirty, and wakes up seventeen years later. I liked that her life wasn't easy and that she didn't get everything she wanted and work was full of jerks trying to screw her. My biggest problem was the ending. It should have ended right after she and her best friend ran up the stairs. Up the stairs then cut to: credits. But it didn't. Oh well.

Mean Girls--9 May 2004
Excellent film. Angry at the stupidity of high school, but very funny. I laughed much. I was impressed with the acting and the snappy dialogue. Tina Fey needs to write more screen plays, she's a good talent. Go. Watch. Laugh. Carful of the bus.

Van Helsing--9 May 2004
It sucks. Don't go see it. People are morons, making this the highest grossing film in it's first weekend. I didn't pay to see it. (HA!) Avoid at all costs.

No comments: