Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Remembering GIESW

I don’t really like talking to GIESW anymore. She’s gotten very bitter and that makes her less fun to be around. Oh, she’s also started spending more time with AOSB, which isn’t good for anyone, since AOSB never put people in a good mood, but rather sucks feelings of happiness out of everyone to into to her emotional black hole.

I think I explained this before, but to be clear, I’m going to do it again in more detail and in a disjointed order.

Early in December, GIESW decided that she didn’t really care for her boyfriend of five years. She said she never really liked him much, it was just that he was someone who wanted to be around her and, eventually, fuck her. Last year, about a month before I moved to Cow City, they decided to move in together and he said he had the perfect place. The perfect place was his mother’s house. They got a dog. They bought two new cars and put both of their names on the credit applications. They stopped having sex, pretty much, in July. (GIESW once told me she wished she could just detach her vagina and leave it for him to use when ever he wanted.)

In October, FLIG and GIESW co-celebrated a birthday and I finally got to meet GIESW’s boyfriend. First, I met her mother, who hated GIESW’s boyfriend and told me–in the strictest confidence, unless I decided to tell GIESW–that she wanted the boyfriend to be hit by a car then finished off by vultures. I got the feeling that GIESW already knew her mother hated her boyfriend. GIESW’s boyfriend showed up about thirty minutes before everyone wanted to get going to the bar. He brought two friends who openly despised GIESW. He kept trying to change the music on the stereo from what the birthday girls wanted to what he wanted. He went outside three times to smoke a cigarette with ASGG and came back saying he hated queers. I decided not to like him.

The next time I worked with GIESW after her birthday, she asked me what I thought of him and I told her what I saw at her party and how much I thought he sucked. I told her that he reminds me of the redneck guys from Cow Town who are considered redneck only because they drive a big truck and hate everything that they don’t understand or think is “wrong.” (These kinds of rednecks are way to common.) I thought he was a jerk because he was borrowing money from her for her birthday present when, the day before, he had bought himself a $200 phone and 30 different rings at $.99 each. I told her she should kick him in the nuts, grab her dog, and get away from him forever.

The second of January, after work, GIESW packed-up some of her clothes, waited for her boyfriend to get home from work, told him she was leaving, kissed her dog on the head, and left.

Every day, after work, she went back to his mother’s house to get more of her stuff and visit her dog.

One day, nearly a week after the dumping, he ditched work and waited for her. When she got there, he apologized for everything, even though she’d never asked for an apology. When she turned to leave, he asked her to stay and talk. She stayed and they talked. I don’t know what they talked about, GIESW wasn’t willing to tell me and I didn’t want to pry, but in the end, he had convinced her to stay at least until the end of the month. If, he said, she was still unhappy on the 31st, she could leave and he wouldn’t say anything about it.

That evening, GIESW started to move her clothes back into her boyfriend’s mother’s house.

Two weeks later, he called her a bitch and said this time he was the one doing the dumping and all whores needed to get out of the house. (When she told me this, she said in her car she realized she should have said that a whore owned the house.) She grabbed her clothes, kissed her dog, and left.

The next day, I worked, GIESW didn’t, but we either got pay check or tips, I can’t remember. (I know that it had to be one of the two because those used to be the only reasons she’d show up for work on her day off.) She looked horrid. I asked her what was going on and she said her boyfriend dumped her the night before. I wanted to remind her that she was the one who broke up with him first and that she was the one who was stupid enough to move back in with him after he apologized and that should never have moved back in with him because he’s a jerk. I didn’t though. I know enough not to be logical around a person experiencing high emotions and remind her that it was, at least partly, her fault. I told her he’s a jackass and she’s better off without him. She gave a weak smile and left.

That was about the time, she started hanging around with AOSB.

AOSB started working with us about six months ago. Right away, I could feel she’s an energy sucker. She’s also an emotional vortex. (It doesn’t help that she’s lactose intolerant and a type 1 diabetic who sucks frappuccino’s down like they’re ambrosia. I can’t imagine that’s good for her system.) I didn’t care for her from the beginning. I didn’t think she was that good of a worker and she just rubbed me the wrong way. Not that I let her know it, of course.

At the same time GIESW was dumped by her boyfriend, AOSB was dumped by her boyfriend. Both were full of anger and frustration and depression, so they fed off of each others emotions in a hardcore spiral of angst. And they smoked a lot together, too. This was the foundation for their friendship and that worries me.

Now, GIESW is starting to sound more like AOSB at work. Sure, GIESW and I always complained about the stupid customers and incompetent management and useless coworkers, but now she’s just full of hate for the universe. Nothing is good.

One day, about a week and a half ago, I made her more like herself. It was an early morning. I was the third person in, she the forth. I was outside at the trash can, opening it with a fork when she walked up. I grabbed the fork, pointed it toward her and offered to fork her. I’ll fork you good, I said. She started to laugh. Come on, I said, I promise I won’t fork you very hard, unless you tell me too. She laughed harder, a real laugh. We all need a good forking once in a while, I said, I’ll give it to you right here, right now. She kept laughing and said she had to get inside before she wet herself. The rest of the day, she was like the GIESW of 2004.

That was the last day I enjoyed speaking with that girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just goes to show what a good forking will do for a person!

Anonymous said...

It's hard to watch someone you care about going through a tough time. I'm glad you could make her laugh. It's strange that some people (GIESW for example) pick very ill-fitting mates, are abused by them, and then grieve when they (the abuser) leaves. Go figure. She has been fortunate to have you as a supportive friend.