Wednesday, August 17, 2005

For Me?

Yesterday, just as I started my break, The Manager called to speak with Assistant Manager #1. There were only three people on the floor, so there was no way I was going to pull her off the floor and lose my first break (only ten minute break, actually, even though I was there for eight hours).

So, The Manager decided to chat with me. All I wanted to do was read my book, but I knew that wasn't going to happen.

"I'm at a job fair," she said.

"I thought we were having a job fair here tomorrow?" I asked.

"We are, but I want to find tons of people. I'm going to hire tons of great people for you."

Basing "great" on the other hires she's made this summer, the word has fallen in meaning.

"Uh-huh," I said, trying to read while on the phone with her.

"Really," she said, "I'm hiring them for you."

"Yeah."

"No, I really am because I don't want you to leave. I want you to stay and be happy."

And here's the point where I could have, and probably should have, gotten into it with her, again. She knows that the main reason I'm unhappy is because there's no place for me to go in the store. I can't be promoted in this store unless we lose two shift supervisors, The Manager told me. There is no way that two of them are leaving. The one that they want to get rid of is getting paid more than $11 and hour; the next highest person, one who started with this store as a shift supervisor with 'Bucks's base pay, would be about $9.16 an hour; a bit difference. He's not leaving and he's not going to demote himself and lose some pay. None of the others are going to step down, and they shouldn't have to, they're pretty good. So, if I was to be promoted, I'd have to go to the next closest store, which is over 30 miles away from our store, way too far away to make an extra dollar an hour worth the drive; I'd spend more than that in gas money each trip.

Plus, there's that whole thing about our store getting a third assistant manager (which will be an outside hire, of course, since they haven't spoken to the shift supervisor we have who should be promoted), when we're not making enough money to pay for one, which would mean that for me to be promoted we'd need to lose three shift supervisors. Don't I feel better.

So, I said, "Uh-huh."

"Well," she said, "I'm doing it for all of us, I suppose. But I do want you to stay, really."

"Yeah," I said. "I'm on a ten. I'll tell [Assistant Manager #1] you called. She'll call you back in a bit."

"Sure, 'bye."

"'Bye," I said and hung up the phone.

I've been mulling this conversation over in my head all day. I could have been nicer, more interested, but I also could have been much more short with her. I'm sick of all the bullshit going on. I know The Manager wants me to know that she appreciates having me there and thinks I do a good job, but what good do words and empty promises do me?

No comments: