Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Of Work and Garfield

From 8:30ish until about 3, minus an hour for lunch, I did work for the Disability Evaluation Unit here at the WCAB. I usually spend less than two hours on it. Why so much time today? Well, Monday was a holiday, so I got all the stuff that would have come for DEU on Monday as well as all the stuff from Tuesday. Those two mail days are my usual mail days, but I do Monday’s mail on Tuesday and Tuesday’s mail on Wednesday, not both days on Wednesday. Plus, there rarely is that much mail for DEU. But I liked having so much time to do DEU paperwork. It’s work that I can just shut my brain down to do. Since I’m not second on the counter this week, I could also put my music on and sing under my breath. (I’ve recently become a little obsessed with the song Veloria, but the Weezer version, not the Pixies one. Maybe it’s because the Pixies’s version is live. Maybe not.) That is what I thought my job would be like, a large pile of paperwork that I had to get through with very few human distractions and me with some music playing, typing away. Most of today happened to be that way, but most of my time here at the WCAB isn’t.

What is the DEU, some of you may have briefly asked yourself before I rambled on about something else entirely? Well, I was going to take time to explain it, but I came across something much more entertaining.

I read this article at Websnark which sent me to this place and made me laugh. It’s all about removing the thought bubbles from Garfield, but leaving Jon’s word balloons. The guy who started the thread was hoping it would be funnier and surrealistic. I have to say that it is. It makes Jon even more pathetic than he is in the regular strips and adds a sense of darkness because it makes it seem like he really doesn’t like himself. If only the real strip were like this.

No comments: