Thursday, July 06, 2006

Under Pressure

Many people here at work are trying to pressure me into submitting an application so I can become a Senior Legal Typist, also known as a secretary. I wrote about my attempt to get into the testing and the inevitable let down when I didn't a couple of months ago. Back then, I really wanted the job. Today, not so much.

My thinking is that if I go for it and get it (which seems very possible, based on the fact that The Supervisor told me that she really wants to see me go for the position and she'd be on of the people doing the interview) and take the job, I'd be stuck. Right now, there is only one position open for a Senior Legal Typist within the state. Guess where it is?

I don't want to be stuck here. In a week, I'll have been here for ten months. I've almost been here for a year. I'm ready to move on. I'm ready to be somewhere else. In my current class, there are several hundred transfer possibilities. That's good.

Now all I need to do is get enough money for a deposit and first and last. I guess that means December at the earliest.

That leave a question of where to.

Right now, there are lots of open positions in Cowtown, at the prison where my aunt and two uncles work. I think I'd be okay living there again. The biggest problem would be the drive to and from work. The prison isn't very close to anywhere. But it's my hometown. It's where I grew up. I know most of the crannies there. I like that there are three theaters there to see plays at and I like that the movie theater shows a different independent film each week during the fall, winter, and spring. Also there's family and friends there, which is always a good thing.

The place that seems like the best choice is Cowcity, though. There are over a thousand openings for people to transfer to. It's the state's capital. Right now there are more than twenty positions available for transfers in my class. There's also the possibility for actual advancement or at least latching onto the coattails of some rising politician who'll pull me along. Or not. At least there are lots of jobs to be had in lots of places so there's more of a chance for me to settle into something that won't make me want to jump out a window each day.

For any who are wondering, I could take the job and then, when I have enough money saved, I could transfer elsewhere in my current class, essentially demoting myself, but how would it look if I go through the interview at the end of this month and then three or four weeks later, since that seems to be how long it takes these people to make any kind of decision, I take the job and then three or four months later, I try and transfer out into a lower position? Would it be better to stick with my current class and transfer? Should I bother turning in an application? Is it worth it since I don't want to work in this office any longer than I have to?

I'm not sure.

5 comments:

pumuckl said...

it is good to have options, and it is good to try new things. favour change. so I would go for the higher job - because you can. if then later on you want to change back again, hej, it is your life and your choice. not your problem to consider others people long reaction and decision time. dont let that decision stress you out. you're on the safe side anyway.

Anonymous said...

Applying for the promotion will get you more money to move out, that's always a good thing.

Cowcity might not be a bad choice, even though the land is super flat.

keep us posted.

-wings

ticknart said...

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I'm pretty sure that I'll be supplying an application and doing an interview. It's good practice, right?

The thing is that I just don't want to work in this office anymore. The Supervisor is insane. I found out yestday that she goes through our desks after work. What's up with that? And why is it when one of us little people is three minutes late she makes a huge fuss over it, but when a secretary come meandering in an hour late, she doesn't say a thing?

Oh, and there's a question as to whether the Senior Legal Typist job actually would pay more. There are two levels. The A level pay start $100 a month less (but I'd probably keep my same pay) and tops out at $150 less. The B level starts out $200 a month more and tops out at $700 a month more. The problem is that no one here knows if I'd be put into the A level or B level.

With my luck, it'd be the A level.

Anonymous said...

Can they really "promote" you and pay you less? an extra $100 a month would be great for saving to move out/trip etc.

at least your supervisor doesn't walk by and kick your chair on purpose or reads your email over your shoulder...

sigh.

-wings

ticknart said...

If I called it a promotion, I'm sorry. It's more like a move to the left or right. I've been assured by several people that I wouldn't get a pay cut, it's just that the maximum I could get paid in the A level, after working in the position for years and years, would be about $100 less than the maximum I'd eventually get paid within my class now.

And I'm sure my supervisor would try to read my e-mail if she could, but I'm pretty quick on the alt+tab move.