Thursday, December 14, 2006

My Favorite Lines

From my favorite Monkees songs:
Oh, I could hide neath the wings
Of the bluebird as she sings.
The six o'clock alarm would never ring.
Whoops its ringing and I rise,
Wipe the sleep out of my eyes.
My shavin' razors cold and it stings.
Up, up, come on get up off your street.
If you can only make it from your hands to your knees,
I know you can make it to your feet. wooah!
Floatin' down the river
With a saturated liver
And I wish I could forgive her
But I do believe she meant it
When she told me to forget it
And I bet she will regret it
When they find me in the morning wet and drowned
My pappy taught me how to float
But I cant swim a single note
He threw me in to teach me how
I stayed there floatin' like a mama cow
Creature comfort goals
They only numb my soul
and make it hard for me to see
My thoughts all seem to stray,
to places far away
I need a change of scenery
You cant begrudge her style, your Auntie Grizelda,
She couldn't budge a smile and do it for free.
So righteous making fudge, your Auntie Grizelda,
So proper judging others over her tea.
She used to bring me my newspaper
cause she knew where it was at.
She used to keep me so contented.
But I can teach a dog to do that.
Now they've darkened all the windows
And the seats are Naugahyde
I've been waiting for an hour
I can't find a place to hide
The being known as wondergirl
Is speaking, I believe
It's not easy trying to tell her
That I shortly have to leave
Just thought I'd share a little more of my Monkees infatuation.

5 comments:

Jazz said...

OK, I rembember the Monkees, but not in so much detail. There's one I remember well(ish), but obviously now that I want to quote the part I remember, it's gone... All of a sudden I have old Beatles songs in my head.

Whatever happened to the Monkees?

ticknart said...

The TV show was cancelled. One of the guys had an aunt who gave him a lot of money. The British one made some records and an appearance on The Brady Bunch, where he looked like he hadn't had a bath in two week and he looked stoned. One was the voice of Arthur on the cartoon The Tick, for the first season. The other was Topanga's original father on Boy Meets World. They had a reunion show on TV a few years ago (which was basically them trying to recapture the wonderful insanity of the original show, but didn't work as well) and I think they even toured for a while.

I didn't even use the 'net to look any of this stuff up. I shouldn't know this much about them.

Anonymous said...

One voiced Arthur? Another was Topanga's father? Really? The Monkees? Which ones?

ticknart said...

Micky Dolenz was the voice of Arthur in the first season. The rest of the time the voice was done by the guy who voiced Pinky and Raphael (on the CBS TMNT cartoon), which is why Arthur sounded so different in the second season.

Peter Tork was Topanga's father. If I remember correctly, he made guitars and was quite the recovering hippie. In one episode there was a mini Monkees reunion when he pulled out one of his guitars and sang with Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones.

This time, I did use the 'net, but only to make sure that I spelled Micky Dolenz's name correctly. I did. And now I'm a bit frightened.

Anonymous said...

You may thank your mother for you Monkee knowledge.
*you're welcome*

I think the reason they couldn't get the "reunion" to work the way the TV show did was because (from the way I heard it) they were either stoned or drunk when they went on camera in the olden days.