Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Beyond a Grunt

"How's life treating you?" he asked me.

I paused and thought about it. This question came from someone who I actually respect. So, should I give him the usual answer of okay, or an actual answer? Okay seemed to be out, because that wouldn't have meant anything. An actual answer would have been too long for the greeting/small talk he offered. The pause seemed to long to me, so I opened my mouth.

"Good enough," I said, "that I shouldn't complain about it, but bad enough that I still want to complain."

He smiled, "That just means you always have something to talk about."

13 comments:

heels said...

He sounds like a wise man...
;)

ticknart said...

He is, but I hear that sometimes he can be a real wise guy.

geewits said...

Heh heh. That's pretty funny.

I e-mailed you a cool "Buffy" article.

ticknart said...

Thanks it was pretty great.

heels said...

You've been quiet lately. All okay?

Jazz said...

That's great. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

ticknart said...

Heels -- I 'splained to your satisfaction, no?

Jazz -- I thought so.

Dieta -- Thanks for the spam. Is that site in Portuguese? I don't read Portuguese in any way that actually makes sense. I read it more like some underclass of orc is speaking.

Also, I'm not a huggy person and your "A hug." doesn't make your spam more tolerable.

heels said...

Sim, Senhor. (Yes, Sir in Portuguese.)

Anonymous said...

Brazilian spam about diet related blogs? ...

ticknart said...

Heels -- I never would have know that "senhor" meant "sir in Porteguese." To think, I always thought that "senhor" just meant "sir."

The things one learns.

AE -- Is that what it is? I didn't really pay attention, just saw it was in a language I didn't care to translate today.

Anonymous said...

Hey you! When are you going to get beyond "Beyond a Grunt"?

geewits said...

Dude! Are you still alive? I miss you.