Friday, April 18, 2008

Photo Phriday

For practice, the teacher had us make a little skull. (It's only been bisqued. I don't know why I didn't put it in the high fire kiln.)

Then we got to make a big one to work toward the final project.

[Final Project Photo Unavailable]

The final project was to do the head of a person we knew. I choose to do my cousin for two reasons: 1. She's pretty symmetrical, I thought that'd make it easier. 2. I have trouble sculpting and drawing faces that look feminine, I thought this would be good practice.

In the end, it didn't look much like her, but it had her mischievous smile and it looked female. My goals were met and I was happy with my work. The instructor disagreed and ripped out the eyes and nose and mouth and cheeks and chin then rebuilt them to look more like the pictures of my cousin. It didn't have her smile, though. The only things left that I really made were the ears and the hair. I hated looking at it.

I packed it away and haven't seen it in years. I don't think I'll like it anymore now than I did then, though.

9 comments:

choochoo said...

oh, it looks kinda sad. Probably from being stashed way for so long. Poor thing is lonely.

ticknart said...

They've both been out since I moved here. It's probably the dust.

geewits said...

Wow, those are incerdible! And the thumb on the other one? I held my hand up there and it is correct. But maybe "your hand" is that of a 47-year-old woman with osteoarthritis.

geewits said...

Incerdible? hee hee, you know what I meant.

ticknart said...

I read the word as you meant it, not as you spelled it. Well, at least until you let me know.

Jazz said...

You really should get back to the sculpting you know...

ticknart said...

That's what I think sometimes, Jazz.

heels said...

I think it's completely wrong of art teachers to ever touch a student's work. It's one of the worst things they can do as a teacher.

ticknart said...

Preaching to the choir here, Heels.