Friday, February 01, 2008

Fiction Friday #28

I couldn't sleep when I got back to my room. I was too wound up. The way Jer blamed me for the yelling really upset me. It wasn't my fault. I wasn't the one being stubborn. Is it really too much for a guy to want to pee in the toilette in his bathroom in the apartment where he pays for half the rent? I didn't think so.

I couldn't sleep, but I couldn't leave my room, either, they hadn't left yet. I wasn't going out there where I'd have to put up with smug looks from Karen because Jer was on her side. So I stayed in bed, staring at the ceiling and obsessing until I heard the front door close.

Immediately, I poked my head out of my door and heard the deadbolt lock.

I was alone. Not that it meant anything. It wasn't even eight o'clock yet. On a Sunday. I should have been sleeping. All normal people would still be asleep and I would have been one of them if everything had gone right.

I threw myself down on the couch and turned the TV on. I flipped through the channels. Lots of church guys asking people to send in money, a few news shows, and a rerun of everyone's favorite Borrowers rip-off, The Littles. That's where I left it.

Eventually, I got up and got some breakfast, a couple of Jer's Hot Pockets, then into the shower. I left for work after noon and Jer still hadn't come back from church.

Work was all about me shelving books at the main branch of the county library. We opened at two and I kept shelving through my whole shift. I was lucky to have the job, though. It's not many students, especially undergrad students, to get a paying job where they want to end up. Yes, I was one of the few and the insane who planned to go into the library sciences as an undergrad. I wanted to spend my days surrounded by books and help people find something worth reading. And I couldn't wait to get my degree and gain a section of a library to rule over like a despot. Not a book out of place, not a penny from my budget unspent, not an unsatisfied member of the public. Those were my goals.

My shift ended at five and I got back to the apartment the door was locked and the lights were off. It didn't look like Jer had been back at all. I settled myself down on the couch and turned on the TV. After a bit of flipping, I stopped on Mumford, slumped low, put my feet on the coffee table, and settled myself for the rest of the movie.

Fifteen minutes later, I heard the door rattle. The deadbolt snapped open. I muted the TV and turned to watch, ready to really apologize to Jer for being an ass that morning. The door was pushed open as soon as the knob was unlocked and in stepped Karen, wearing the dress that, I assumed, she wore to church and carrying her heeled shoes in her hand.

"Oh," I said.

"Yeah," she said, closing the door.

"You should really knock," I said.

"Jer gave me his keys," she said, jingling them. "I figured it'd be okay. I wasn't going to stand outside while he went to pick up some food."

"Still should have knocked." I frowned.

"Sure, yeah. Next time. I will."

I turned back to the TV and was about to turn up the sound when Karen asked, "What's that?"

"A movie," I said.

"I know that." She sat down on the other end of the couch. "What's the movie?"

"Mumford."

"The one with that guy from Chasing Amy?"

"He's one of the guys," I said and hit mute so I could hear it.

Karen put her shoes on the coffee table and leaned back into the couch. She always reminded me of a cat when she relaxed. First she pushed her back into the couch and stretched it. Then she stretched her arms out to her fingers. Next came her legs out to her toes. Finally, her body went limp. She'd relaxed like this since we were both little kids being dragged by our parents to annoying dinner parties put on by the stuffy people at the university where they worked.

I laughed a little when she finally settled.

"What?" she asked.

"It's just... Well, you still stretch like you used to," I said.

She smiled, "Some things never change, huh?"

I watched her watch the TV. "Karen, why'd you go to church this morning?"

"What?"

"Church, why'd you go? You used to hate it. You used to be proud at how much you pissed your grandma off when you wouldn't go with her on holidays. What's up? Do you believe in that stuff now?"

She looked toward me, but not at me, and frowned, "It's the girls I live with."

I waited.

"There all Afro American Studies, right?"

I nodded.

"Well, and it's nuts, I know, they don't like me dating a white guy."

"Shit," I said.

"I know," she said, shaking her head. "I over heard a couple of the girls talking and one said that the only good thing she had to say about Jer was that he wasn't Mexican."

"Shit," I said, again.

"Yeah, that's why I Jer doesn't spend the night at my place." She sighed, "So, I go to their church to make them happier and make living there easier. I thought they were all going to shit themselves when they saw Jer with me this morning."

We both laughed.

4 comments:

choochoo said...

I gave you an award, I did. Yes, I did.

ticknart said...

Thanks, Choochoo. I don't know what to do about it, though.

Jazz said...

I'm still really liking this story.

ticknart said...

Jazz -- I'm glad.

It's nothing like I thought it would be and it still hasn't gotten to the idea that inspired me to write the story. I thought I'd only spend one day writing about the college stuff. Shows what I know.