Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Sleep

Dear Homeless Guy,

I understand that you need somewhere relatively safe to sleep and although I'd rather it not be the alley thing between my building and the one to the west, I get why your there. It blocks any wind there may be and you can walk way back away from the street so you can't be seen and I imagine that the ivy there is much softer than the stoops you usually sleep on.

This morning, though, you felt the need to yell at your dog. At 5:15. The thing is that at 5:15 AM I'm still asleep and I hope to stay asleep until my alarm blares about ninety minutes later. And even though I didn't climb out of bed during those last ninety minutes, the drowsing that occurred wasn't nearly as restful as the sleep I'd normally have gotten.

So, please, next time you sleep in the alley thing, tie something around your dog’s neck so you can pull him toward you if he runs off. I know that finding an actual leash is unlikely, but with all the construction on the freeway, I'm sure you could find some length of rope that'd work, in a makeshift kind of way. I know I'd appreciate it and I'm pretty sure all my neighbors would too.

Sincerely,

ticknart

8 comments:

Jazz said...

I get your point, but I'm thinking the guy doesn't much care about what you and the neighbors think deep in your comfy beds.

ticknart said...

I'm sure he didn't care, but I wish he would.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should leave a small length of rope in the alley?

ticknart said...

Maybe. He's not there often, though, or he doesn't have a dog with him often. I'm not sure which.

geewits said...

I feel more sorry for the dog.

choochoo said...

what you need is a fluffy robot cat for the dog to chase far, far away. The hobo will follow.

ticknart said...

Geewits -- Me, too.

Choochoo -- Then the dog would bark and there would be more noise, thus ruining sleep.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for giving him a length of rope or leaving it in the alley-thing with a little bow. And if you tie it into a noose beforehand ... 2 birds. 1 stone.