Monday, June 02, 2008

225 Words

The power went off at about 6:30 last night. The light and computer flickered, went dead, and then I heard a POW! I was just about to get myself some dinner. Instead, I grabbed the book I'm struggling through (Quicksilver, the first of The Baroque Cycle); the character who supposedly makes the first two books worth reading has finally been introduced. After more than 300 pages.

So, I raced the setting sun and read.

At one point, the light I left on brightened and the phone beeped to tell me the power was flowing. I raced for my alarm clock to set it when the lights flickered out again. And again I heard a POW!

I settled into reading, again.

As the sky was darkening, the lights came back and the phone beeped. Power was flowing. I waited, though. I didn't want to get excited. I was hungry and wanted dinner, but didn't want to open the fridge because the last time power went out like this (with a POW!); it was out the whole night. Fortunately that night had been a Friday and there wasn't any need to worry about when I woke up the next morning. Plus, I had already eaten that night.

Two minutes later, the power was still on, so I made dinner, ate, washed up, and to bed I went.

2 comments:

Jazz said...

Nice isn't it to be obliged to stay away from the computer. Not so nice to not be able to have dinner.

ticknart said...

Well, it cut into the episode of Pushing Daisies I was watching. And by the time I cooked dinner and finished eating it, I wanted to sleep more than watch a show.