Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Road

I really want a new car.

The longer I drive the car I'm in, the closer the word "want" gets to "need."

This month is the 18th anniversary of when my current car was bought. I can remember spending the day at my grandparents' house, with my brothers, waiting for our parents to get back from Cowcity. When they got there, we were in awe. The three of us piled in as our parents got out and played Star Tours because it reminded us of the shuttle from that ride. (If our parents had bought it a year later, we would have played Star Trek, but we hadn't quite discovered the wondrous world of The Next Generation, yet.)

That's not what matters, though. It's getting old. It makes funny whine in four out of the five gears. Stuff leaks. And, frankly, I'd just like to feel cool driving a newer car.

If I had the money, I'd buy a brand new Prius or some other kind of hybrid. I figure that no new hybrid will sell for less than $23000. (Unless I get the teeny-tiny Yaris, but I'd really like to seat four people comfortably in my car, even if no one else ever rides with me.) I couldn't put more than $3000 as a down payment. That means if I want to pay it off in a reasonable amount of time, I'd have to pay more than $400 a month. I do not have an extra $400 a month in my budget, especially since my insurance would at least triple.

So, what about pre-owned? Well, since hybrids haven't been around very long, the used ones are all selling for more than $10000. All the ones at dealers, that I've seen on the interblub, are $16000 or more. My payment would be closer to $250 a month, which I could probably handle, but I wouldn't be putting much, if anything, in my savings during that time and I'd have to put paying my student loan on a much slower schedule. At a dealership, though, it's possible.

The hybrids that owners are selling are cheaper. Sure, still hovering around that $10000 mark, but that's thousands less than the dealer wants. The problem is that if I bought from someone who owns the car they're going to want the all the money the day I buy it from them. The fastest that I could save up $10000 is five months. Of course, that's five months without paying rent or utilities or car insurance or buying food or comics or gasoline. Five months with me not spending money at all. (Okay, if I drained my savings all the way to zero, it'd be closer to three months. But then I'd have no money at all. That seems like a stupid plan to me.)

Then I move on.

What type of car would I like to have if I can't have a hybrid?

Well, I'd like something that has the room to hold stuff. A car that can carry me and three other adults comfortably. I'd like reasonable gas mileage, like over 25 MPG. And, since I still hope to move up to Cowtown, 4-wheel drive would be a nice option for those all too common times that the county doesn't plow the roads until the morning after the night where all the snow that stuck froze solid and all the plows do is pack the icy snow down harder so when it starts to thaw, instead of melting away, it just creates a thin film of water making the roads even slicker than they would have been before the plows went by and then when it refreezes overnight the ice is even harder and therefore more slippery the next day when the sun comes out to tease a freezing world with its rays. (Also, they use sand in Cowtown, not salt, on the roads, which is fine when the ice is thin and going to be mostly melted away by that after noon, but not so good when the compacted snow/ice is half an inch thick.)

A car with space, reasonable mileage, and 4-wheel drive? Well, the only one that comes to mind is that Subaru Outback. I had a teacher who drove one of those when I was at JC. She was a graphic designer by trade, and used her car to pick up things that were printed and to travel to semi-faraway places to meet with clients. She really liked the car, too. Also, I used to drive Subaru Wagon, from, you know, the mid 80s. It was a pretty good car. (Yes, there were a few very expensive problems. One of the problems was caused by the previous owner putting a water tube on backwards so it was up against the hot engine so it melted and the car overheated and the engine because useless and then I got an engine, that wasn't rebuilt, just dropped into the car, and this led to other expensive problems because I don't think they really put in the same sort of engine. I really hated the place that "repaired" my car.) I could live pretty comfortably for several years driving an Outback that's five to ten years old.

Ah, but then there's the pricing. The cheapest, in my admittedly brief search, came up with a '97 for about $4900 sold by its owner. The pre '00 to '02 were all priced closer to $6000, though. Most of the dealer ones were $8500 or more. I could handle a car payment that would come off of that price. I'd rather just be able to buy it right out, though.

*sigh*

This weekend, I'm thinking of a test drive.

6 comments:

heels said...

Thing #1- I love my car, and I believe that it fits all of your requirements. Even the older models would do, and there are plenty of those still truckin' away reliably (I'm pretty sure they started making them in 1997).

Thing #2- Most people, when they buy a used car from a private owner, get a car loan from a bank. Rarely do people save up their money to be able to buy it unless it's only a couple hundred dollars. This is what I did. I pay $300/month for car and insurance on my 2004 Honda CR-V. It can be manageable.

Have fun with the test drives!! I wish you were here- I would totally go with you. I LOVE test drives.

ticknart said...

Thing #1- I thought about your type of car. My parents have one. It's a good car. Maybe one I should consider.

Thing #2- Thinking about going and getting a loan from a bank for a car makes my stomach flutter in a bad way. I do not look forward to the day I seriously ponder buying a house.

I wish I had someone to go with me to test drive. I've never done it before.

heels said...

Getting a bank loan for a car is no different than getting "financing" from an auto dealer, especially if you're getting a used car.

Check out Edmund's and Kelly Blue Book online for pricing and tips on buying a car.

Also- if you are going to get a used car, it's definitely worth getting a VIN report. Kelly Blue Book does one for a price, and you can use it for a few checks (at least, that's the way it worked when I did it). Doing that helped me know that a car the dealer said was fine had actually been in a major accident. FUCKING LIARS, they are.

If you want to go the next time you're down here, I'd TOTALLY go with you. I love that shit. Vicarious car ownership!

ticknart said...

I knew getting a bank loan is the same as financing. It's the thought of any kind of loan that I can't pay off in a short amount of time that makes my stomach lurch, that's all.

Thanks for the Blue Book tip. I didn't know there was a way to check up on cars that are accident victims. I'll totally use that.

Jazz said...

18 years old for a car!!!Damn. Here (because of the winters) it's hard to get more than 10 out of a car.

And if you can swing it, go for the Subaru. My brother has one and he loves it.

ticknart said...

Salt is much tougher on cars (and roads) than sand is. Of course, salt also works much better than sand does.