Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Moment of Hubris

Long before work decided that I, and everyone else in the department, spent too much time fooling around on the innerwebs, I joined a "write-off challenge" on the forum I'd still like to frequent. I was put in the fourth challenge group. After the boot, while visiting my parents in May, I wrote to the board and said I'd have to withdraw because I had no 'webs connection. One of the nice people there offered to act as go-between and send me the challenge prompts and post my short-short stories. (Oh, it's some of that fan fiction stuff for that cartoon thingy, you know.)

The first week in June the first prompt was sent and received. I stayed up too late that Sunday writing my story and sent it off Monday morning.

When I logged into Gmail this morning I got a note from the kind person that told me who "won" the first of the three writings (no one, really, since the other person didn't send a story) and the new prompt.

Along with the prompt, she sent some of the positive thoughts that others wrote. One is something that I'd love to see, with my real name in place of my handle, as a blurb on my book one day: "Like a lot of ticknart's writing, lately, this has a reflective voice and seems mild enough, till one finds oneself lying on the floor, with smelling salts being applied."

While I'd edit out the "lately" part, I really like the rest. It makes me feel nervous, but in that good way. Someone got what I wanted them to grab.

I'm going to copy and paste that line again, without the one word, and make it bold and a little bigger. I figure I should really earn the title of this post.

"Like a lot of ticknart's writing ... this has a reflective voice and seems mild enough, till one finds oneself lying on the floor, with smelling salts being applied."

Yeah, that's the stuff.

2 comments:

Johnny Logic said...

That would make a terrific cover blurb. Savor the hubris.

ticknart said...

I have been riding mid to high on the statement all day. It's nice