Tuesday, January 17, 2006

It's a Day

Here I sit with about thirty minutes of my work day left. I should be working. I've been going really slow all day so that I can look like I'm doing stuff and now I actually have a pile of work that's been sorted, but needs to be entered in the computer. I figure that I'll be able to go at a normal speed tomorrow and probably get finished with everything on my desk. Is it wrong of me to feel bad that I'm not working to my full potential? Shouldn't I be wanting to move my work quickly so I can show the people in charge that I'm a hard worker who knows how to get his work done?

Friday, I had two of the people here--one a secretary, who's been a secretary for twenty-odd years, and the other is in charge of the DEU--give me a nudge toward becoming a legal secretary here in the office. There are a couple of problems, however. The secretary pointed out that I need to take a test or a class or something before I could move over to that position. The DEU woman told me that she had actually spoken with the PJ and told him that I should fill the vacant secretary position that we currently have, the problem with that is I can't be moved until my probation is over, which isn't for another eight weeks, and the PJ wants to fill the slot ASAP and, unless you're God, eight weeks is not ASAP.

And then the question appears: Do I really want to take the job?

The answers: Yes and No.

Yes, it'd mean I'd no longer have to face the public during the day and I'd get an immediate bump up on my paycheck.

No, there aren't ways to get promoted being a legal secretary and the highest pay for the position is about $200 less than the highest pay for the OT position I have now.

*sigh*

I'm tired. I don't understand why. Well, that's not true, I do know why, it's because I'm not sleeping well. I climb into bed getting tired, read a bit, turn off the light, and stay awake for the next couple of hours. Why does this happen? If it's because my brain won't shut down, I can't remember and usually I do remember what I was thinking about in all it's minutia.

I guess there's something worrying me that won't let me sleep and also won't actually let me know what it is.

I watched the season premiere of 24 the last two nights and found myself wishing that I was watching it with someone else who's a fan of the show so I would have someone to break it all down with during the commercials. Someone to talk to about the characters and help me remember when and where we met some of them. Especially the ones who were introduced during the second and third seasons because I think I only watched about eight episodes of each of those seasons.

Well, it's like two minutes before I head out of here.

Hope all is well with you and come February 10 you will join me in boycotting the opening ceremonies of the Olympics and watch two hours of Arrested Development.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you can just say yeah, yeah, yeah, but here it comes, the "motherly advice and wisdom". You need to perhaps get yourself involved in something interesting after work and make some friends. Look around town for some "gatherings" and check into them. Try them once or twice. Get involved. You might start at the library. Lots pf people interested in books and usually groups meet at libraries.

The Mooooooooo