Friday, January 20, 2006

Work Day

"It's quite chilly."

"There's frost everywhere."

"It sure is nippy out there."

"The air has a sharp chill to it."

"I can't believe how freezing it's gotten."

And so many other ways to say that it was cold this morning. Around the office, talk of the temperature seems to be the main discussion point all... day... long. Shouldn't stating the obvious once during the work day be enough for people?

On a different note, the person who I complained about being gone has returned. I still don't know why she was gone, and I don't really care. I just wish that my supervisor had been willing to give me a straight answer all of those times I asked her if the woman who was gone was ever going to come back. Rumor around the office is that my supervisor didn't even know until twenty minutes before the return today. Part of me is happy, her return means less work for me. Part of me is frustrated, her return means spending more time trying to look like I'm busy even though I've already finished my work.

Here's a little talk I had with someone today:

"Did you see Mr. [insert lawyer name here] today?" she asked.

"No."

"He came in in his sweatpants and a beany."

"Great."

"It was just the funniest thing."

"Was it?"

"I wish you could have seen it."

"Why? Did you think I'd..." My voice trailed off. I flushed. I couldn't complete my thought in front of a coworker. I was going to say, "Why? Did you think I'd cream my pants seeing his little beany and sweats."

She stared at me.

I turned away from her and back to my computer.

Today's song: Breakfast at Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like when you'd spout shit like that out. I'm talking to you, joking, then WHAM! and all I could think to say was, 'DAMN! Josh' or laugh or pause. Oh, man. You can be cruel.

Frustrated, by any chance?

ticknart said...

Just a wee bit.

Anonymous said...

I wonder where you got such a talent? Probably inherited it from your father...

ticknart said...

Yeah, my father, 'cause he's the one who looks at posters of guys in thier underwear and says, "They should have boners. At least then there'd be something interesting to look at."

Anonymous said...

Um, yeah, that right ... HE said that.