Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Book and Mars

So, I'm reading this book, House of Leaves, and it's just plain weird, but really good at the same time. I'm not that far into it (Only about 100 pages, more if you count the forward, I guess.), but the book is built like a textbook for school. I don't just mean it has lots of pages, but that's in the shape of one two. And the text, for the most part, goes from almost one side of the page to the other, which makes it hard to read, which I'm pretty sure was the point. The book is built to be difficult to read. There are pages and pages taken up by footnotes written by the guy "editing" the book mixed in with the regular text. Really weird. And I'm still not to the pages with Braille on them, or the pages that are in columns, or the pages that look like they were taken from an actual text book, or the pages with text on a slant and in the corner of the page, or the pages with music on them. Oh, and the word "house" is always printed in blue in my edition. (On the page where the copy write information is shown, it says that there's a full color edition that has all the struck words in red (except in chapter XXI, where they're in purple) and the Braille can be felt. How cool, but expensive, would that be to have.)

Anyway, it's a weird book. My brother got it for me for my birthday and I didn't start reading it until last Thursday, I think. When he gave it to me, he said that the first time he heard of it was when his old roommate was reading it and got freaked out. He got so freaked out that he went to my brother's room and asked if he could hang out there for a while because he didn't want to be alone.

Just thought I'd share that with all of you.

Watched Veronica Mars last night. (If you didn't, shame on you! You're one of the people who will get it cancelled before its time!) This morning, I thought:

Wouldn't it be horrible if Cassidy "Beaver" Casablancas was the person behind the bus crash? He was probably molested by Woody. It's not too much of a stretch to guess that he was the third person on the recording in Woody's e-mail, the voice that was erased. He was in the limo following the bus. He's smart enough to find out how to build a bomb, or get someone else to do it for him. (His brother did hang out with Lucky, and Kendal is a psycho of a step mom.)

The question, then, goes to his motive.

The other voice was erased off the message probably because that person was trying to convince the others not to out Woody. Why? Because that third person doesn't want to be dragged around by the cops and asked about being molested by Woody, which would happen to anyone who could be found from all the teams Woody coached over the years, as well as all the bat boys for the Sharks.

Cassidy seems to be pretty sensitive about anything that has to do with sex. I don't think he'd want to be forced to talk about it. I'm sure that he doesn't want his brother or father to find out, either; they already think he's girly enough.

If that seems like enough of a motive, then is Cassidy capable of killing?

I'm not sure. He pulled a pretty nasty trick on Dick when he hired the transvestite, but that certainly isn't the same as killing.

I'm not saying that Cassidy Casablancas is the killer (I don't want him to be. I like him.), but, to me, he's a strong possibility, even if it seems that the evidence is pointing to Woody Goodman.

If you didn't understand that, I'd recommend buying the DVDs when they come out this summer, or at least putting them into your NetFlix que when they get there. The show's damn good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad your getting some enjoyment out of it.

ticknart said...

Lots, actually. I'm almost done.

I was wondering, though, what part freaked John out so much?