Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Wednesday, Purpleday

On Wednesdays, to show solidarity, our union suggests that all members wear purple.

There are two colors I hate wearing, yellow and purple. (I suppose that sort of makes sense since they are complimentary colors.) Having them covering a large portion of my body makes me uncomfortable, for some reason.

Out in the regular world, I like yellow and purple. I lived in a house that was painted yellow. I lived in a room that was painted a light purple. (I was in fifth grade. I wanted my room painted a color other than white. My parents didn't have any money and neither did I. There was a can of free purple paint my mom could get from school. We added semi-gloss white that was left-over from when my parents painted the inside of the house three years before. My mom and I painted my room. C'est la vie.) Those two things never bothered me. I just don't like wearing them.

I wore the damn purple shirt when I went to Cowcity for the rally. I did it to try to be a part of the experience. As soon as the rally was over, I pulled the shirt off and changed back into what I was wearing before.

Which brings us back to the beginning. It's Wednesday and the ladies in the office who support the union are wearing purple. (Some wear purple regular clothes and some wear the free purple t-shirts the union hands out.)

I am not.

Each Wednesday I'm asked where my purple is.

Each Wednesday I say I don't like wearing purple.

This has been going on since last November.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just tell people that you can't wear purple or yellow because of your mother and the fact that you have red hair and she always refused to put you into either color and ranted about the colors and she has ruined those colors for you for the rest of your life. USE you mother, that's what she is there for.

ticknart said...

No thanks, I'm just gonna keep telling the ladies that I don't like wearing purple. One day, they may remember.