Friday, May 19, 2006

"Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"

You ever have a moment where a song that you've heard all you life and you've enjoyed suddenly becomes... new?

As I was walking to work this morning, trying out a new route, "Norwegian Wood" started to play and I was captivated. It was the second song I heard after leaving my apartments, and the only song I played on the rest of the way to work.

I've heard this song all my life. Rubber Soul is probably my favorite of the Beatles's albums. I've always enjoyed the melody and clever rhyme scheme of the song. But when I heard it earlier, there was something... more.

I'm not exactly sure what the more is, but it made the song have a physical impact on me. Like I was hit in the stomach.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're lucky as crap. Except for that 'getting hit in the stomach' thing.

ticknart said...

I don't understand. Why am I lucky?

Anonymous said...

I've listened to songs over and over and over again and, eventually, they're on or they're not, I couldn't care anymore; every once in a while, sure, I'll go out of my way to put it on but it's not what it used to be. Maybe it never was anything more than a catchy lil' ditty. Every great once in a while, in a good or bad way, I really don't care which, some thing in the something makes a difference again. Just listening to the song changes 'something' in some way, even if all that means is the way you listen to the song. Lucky as crap.

'Cept that whole stomach thing.

ticknart said...

I understand now. Thanks.

For you, what song(s), if any, have changed for you? Which of the song(s) that you listened to a bunch of times then once had a new impact on you when you heard it again, good or bad?

Since you're the only one posting here, besides me, I'm puting you on the spot.

Anonymous said...

Reserving the right to be as vague as possible, I had the weidest experince with 'Tequila Sunrise' several, several months ago, now, where it hit me, like a brick, sinking in the pit of my gut. I got it. I just got it. And it's a shitty Eagles pop song. But damn.

Honestly, I've never felt that way about the song, haven't since, but I remember the feeling. And wouldn't it be nice if I could feel it again when I listen to the song? Brought me down and flung me right back up. Just 'cause it's good to feel.

ticknart said...

Amen to "Just 'cause it's good to feel."

Ain't that the truth.