Thursday, September 14, 2006

This Is A Wonderful Idea

NRAMA: Sounds like you had a family that encouraged you.

EVS: Yeah, they always did. Before we could read or write, my mom had this idea to give us all blank journals. And the whole idea was that she would ask us at the end of each day, why don't you draw a picture of what you did today or what you were thinking about today? And she would give us some crayons, and we would fill up a page. And then she would ask us what it was we had drawn, and she would write down verbatim what we said.

Now I have these wonderful picture journals with some of my earliest drawings, from when I was three or four, with my actual words written out by my mom. So from a very early age, I was encouraged to tell stories with pictures.
From the Ethan Van Sciver interview at Newsarama today.

I wonder if I'll ever be able to do anything like that?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WishI had thought of that!

ticknart said...

I bet lots of people wish they had.

Anonymous said...

the mooooo has boxes and boxes of things we once did; I've spread them across the living room floor.

ticknart said...

This idea is quite different from the things the mooooo has.