Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Concentration

I spent my lunch hour wandering around the Barnes & Noble that's two blocks away. I didn't buy anything, I just wandered around looking at the crappy books on the bargin tables and through the magazines. I picked up a few books and magazines and read the back cover or thumbed through them, but nothing deeper than that.

I just haven't had the concentration today to sit and read.

Even on my 15 minute breaks I can't just sit and focus on my book. I get halfway though a page and my mind starts to wander and I start to wallow.

It's cold here. Well, cold for here, not for many places across North America. As I walked to work, it was raining and the temperature was at 34 F. At lunch it was raining and around 44 F. I find the temperature refreshing. It's closer to the way winter should feel. (Yes, I do realize that if the temperature was hovering around freezing from November until May I probably wouldn't feel this way, but I live in California and most of the places where people live don't get like that. Especially this year.) I'm jealous that my parents and my friends who live in Cowtown had snow, but it's nice having the cold for a while.

One thing I don't like, though, is that air here, as I walk to work, smells and tastes like cars, even though I don't see or hear any cars going down the road. Back in Cowtown on cold mornings after, or during, a rain storm the air smells fresh and crisp and doesn't taste like anything. I miss that.

No comments: