Friday, February 23, 2007

The Oscars, 2007

When the Oscar nominations were announced last month, I realized that this will be the first time in 15 years that I will not be watching the Oscars, in part, live. When I was younger and it got late (or time for Lois & Clark, if it was a new one) I'd tape the rest of the show and watch it the next day after school. This year, I can not even tape the thing. It makes me a little sad that on Sunday I won't be eating so much microwave popcorn that my tongue is sore for days after while watching the glitz and glamour of a meaningless, but fun, awards ceremony.

Even though I won't be watching them, I thought I throw out my choices to win, anyway.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Leonardo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond
Ryan Gosling in Half Nelson
Peter O’Toole in Venus
Will Smith in The Pursuit of Happyness
Forest Whitaker in The Last King of Scotland

I actually haven't seen any of these movies, but I'd be happy if either PeterO'Toole or Forest Whitaker win. They both should have won years ago. Both bury themselves in they're roles so well that if the make-up was a bit thicker, I'd have a hard time figuring out who was playing their characters.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Penélope Cruz in Volver
Judi Dench in Notes on a Scandal
Helen Mirren in The Queen
Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet in Little Children

Penélope Cruz's breast should win for their amazing performance in Volver, but since just parts of an actor can not win, I choose, like everyone else, Helen Mirren for one of the most controlled and emotional performances ever on film. Just looking into her eyes in The Queen I could see that there was so much emotion being supressed to show strength and tradition to the people of England. She was outstanding. And it'd be nice for her to win for playing both Queen Elizabeths.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine
Jackie Earle Haley in Little Children
Djimon Hounsou in Blood Diamond
Eddie Murphy in Dreamgirls
Mark Wahlberg in The Departed

While I'm expecting Eddie Murphy to pull in the win, I'd really like to see Alan Arkin win for playing a crusty, but caring grandfather. His character was the one with the most life in him when Little Miss Sunshine started. And the way you could see how much he loved his granddaughter was wonderful. Here's hoping he pulls it off.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Adriana Barraza in Babel
Cate Blanchett in Notes on a Scandal
Abigail Breslin in Little Miss Sunshine
Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls
Rinko Kikuchi in Babel

Jennifer Hudson was lucky. She got to play the best female characer in Dreamgirls. And she nailed it. Yes, the woman who didn't become the Idol was specactular.

DIRECTING
Babel
The Departed
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Queen
United 93


Although I'd like Scorsese to win, finally, I'm going with Frears and The Queen on this. It was a quiet, nuainced film. Sort of gentle in it's appoach. Startling and nice. I don't know exactly how to put it, but it was just what was needed.

MUSIC (SCORE)
Babel
The Good German
Notes on a Scandal
Pan’s Labyrinth
The Queen


Pan’s Labyrinth's score was shocking and sweet and brutal and better than anything else I've heard this year.

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
Children of Men
The Departed
Little Children
Notes on a Scandal


Children of Men. See it. Read it. Understand it.

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
Babel
Letters from Iwo Jima
Little Miss Sunshine
Pan’s Labyrinth
The Queen


Pan’s Labyrinth, for the same reason the score should win.

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Cars
Happy Feet
Monster House


Cars. The others may have been more original, storywise, but they weren't better.

BEST PICTURE
Babel
The Departed
Letters from Iwo Jima
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen


Little Miss Sunshine should win, just for its oddness and crazy characters.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

watch it on youtube!

-wings

Anonymous said...

Uninterested in naming my choices nor in challenging yours ... A thoroughly bad year for movies. My only disapointment is that I didn't see The Illusionist. This year? Let's just go ahead and ... well ... not hold 'em. (I'll be sitting watching Sunday night with my list in hand, not even for sporting, rather 'traditional' purposes. Not to be revealled.)

Anonymous said...

I lie, I wish I'd seen Pan's Labrinth...

choochoo said...

I wonder when I'm gonna get one.

Jazz said...

15 years watching it live? Damn, I think I haven't watched an awards show in 15 years.

ticknart said...

Wings, I don't have th 'net at my apartment and when you already know the winners, it's not nearly as much fun.

AE, It's fun. That's why I like watching it.

Choochoo, I don't know when, but I'll try to watch it on TV.

Jazz, You must be the weird one here.

Queenie said...

I am so sad Little Miss Sunshine did not win! :(

Q