Thursday, May 03, 2007

Been Thinking

I got this in my e-mail this morning:
I certainly thought this was enlightening. Beyond our sun ...
It's a big universe.

Antares is the 15th brightest star in the sky.
It is more than 1000 light years away.
Now how big are you?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Now TRY to wrap your mind around this.........


This is a Hubble Telescope Ultra Deep Field Infrared View of countless "ENTIRE" Galaxies Billions of Light-Years Away.

Below is a close up of one of the darkest regions of the photo above.

Humbling, isn't it?

Now How Big Are You?
And how big are the things that upset you today?

Keep life in perspective and don't sweat the small stuff!

Now, I know what the person is trying to get across here, but when I got to the end I wasn't thinking what the e-mail wanted me to think.

What I thought, when I got to the end, was if the world we live on is so small compared to the other planets and the other planets are so small compared to our star and our star is so small compared to other stars and all the stars are so small compared to a galaxy and there are so many galaxies in the universe and this one tiny world we live on is the only place we know of, for sure (and I did read the WIRED thing about a possible Earth-like planet because it seems to fall in the liquid water zone around its star), that life can exist then it seems to me that the small things are pretty damn important. If two neighbors can't get along with each other, what hope is there for two nations? And if the people and nations don't start being civil to each other, who's to say that there'll be any life left in the universe at all after we fuck this miniscule place up?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup.