Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Allergy Time Relativity

On allergy days, time is weird. And not just in the when-you're-with-a-girl-you-like Einstein/relativity way. Parts of it go really fast. (I can't tell you exactly what I've done for the last two hours, but my pile of work has moved from the left side of my desk to the right, and put in smaller piles.) Other parts go really slow. (Ten fifteen to eleven seemed to last a day or two. And there was stuff to do and I was doing it.)

Hell, I can't remember actually showering this morning. I remember getting into the tub and under the water and I remember rinsing the shampoo out of my hair. Rinsing out the shampoo is the last thing I do when I shower and I couldn't remember actually washing any part of my body. It was very disorientating standing under the warm streams trying to figure out if I washed my feet, among other parts of my body. I was pretty sure time had passed and, even though I hate the place, I didn't want to be late to work. (An aside: I usually get to work about five minutes early. Not on purpose, it's just a habit. Late in January, the building had shut off the power because of our elevators and when I came in the next morning, I was the one who reset the clock and I reset them all five minutes fast. That way I was exactly on time and we really locked the door five minutes early each day. It was great. Two weeks ago, they turned the power off again to test the elevators and the clocks had to be set again. I set them back to my time. One of the other workers noticed the clocks were off and were back on actual PDT. Sucks.) So I took the soap and washed the pertinent parts of my body, but I'm pretty sure that I rewashed them because the body feels different, especially between the toes. Or maybe it's just my body. I don't know. After I cleaned/re-cleaned the important parts, I decided to believe that the rest of me was clean and I've been okay for the rest of today.

I think I've lost the point of this post. It's mostly that I've lost my sense of time during this the season of allergies.

I look forward to the scalding days of July when they will be gone.

3 comments:

Terrible lie said...

Wow..I felt stoned reading that

ticknart said...

I do my best.

Anonymous said...

And that, is the joys of alergies. Bleh!