Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Hypocrisy?

It may be an exaggeration, but I hate the CSI shows with a fiery passion.

The first time I watched an episode was while I was visiting some friends. They enjoyed the show. I was pretty indifferent about it until they did something really, really stupid:

The team found a body that had been stabbed. To find out what kind of a blade was used to stab the guy, the lab person decided it was best to pour plaster into the wound and, after it had hardened, use the casting to to find the type of blade.

I need to repeat that: They poured plaster into a hole in a humans gut and got a perfect casting of a knife blade.

My brain immediately cried out "BULLSHIT!"

I've used plaster to make castings in sand and dirt and always the plaster has pushed some of the sand or dirt out from the point that I poured it. Always. And the inside of a human body is way squishier than sand. That plaster would have gone into the cut and spread out, pushing the flesh out, and then hardened into a lump that looked nothing like a knife.

Then there was the episode where a woman lined up a hundred little lasers to show where each and every bullet came from. Sure, it looked cool in the dark, dusty room, but I just couldn't believe that any police department did that, even on in Vegas.

The knife and the lasers may have set me off, but I could have forgiven the pseudoscience if the police work had been more realistic. CSI people, no matter their rank, don't do the foot work. They take pictures of the crime scene. They look for any evidence. They analyze the evidence. And they take their analysis to the detectives on the cases and the district attorney's office. They don't, or very rarely, draw their sidearm and chase suspects into abandoned building then grill 'em in an interrogation room until the suspect breaks down and confesses or at least points them to the right person. No. They spend most of their time in a lab, playing with chemicals and such to build evidence that the DA can use in court.

Now, if the show choose only one crazy thing to do, the pseudoscience or super-CSIs, I may have been more forgiving, but the show does both, and it drives me nuts.

I think I've given the original CSI a fair shake. I've watched several episodes, by choice. I watched the two directed by Quentin Tarantino because I hoped that he could bring something new to the show. He didn't. They looked and sounded and felt exactly like a regular episode. I watched the Wil Wheaton episode because for a time I actually thought I could support his acting career by doing so. I'm pretty sure it didn't, though. And there have been other random episodes here and there, but nothing has convinced me that it's worth my time.

Of the New York one, I've only seen the episode from Miami that introduced the basic characters. I have to admit that out of the three main guys on these shows, Gary Sinise chews the scenery the best. Still can't bring myself to watch the show, though.

All that said, I have to admit that I've seen quite a few episodes of CSI: Miami. I wish I could say that it was because I only get two channels that aren't in Spanish or about "God." No. I wish I could say that it's better than the others in the franchise. It's not. I can't stand the guy in charge of the department. He sucks.

The only reason I watch CSI: Miami is Emily Procter. Not only is she stunning, she has a wonderful Southern accent that tickles my fancy. (It tickled my fancy years before when she played Ainsley Hayes on West Wing, too.)

So, I will continue to hate the CSI shows, but until Ms. Procter leaves, I'm afraid I'll be watching one.

10 comments:

geewits said...

I'm a HUGE Gary Sinise fan and was so excited he was coming to series television, but gave up after 2 or 3 episodes. It was stiff and boring and silly. The only one I remember was about people who like to saw off their own limbs. Yeah, like the police are going to run into that very often.

Jazz said...

Any reason is good. Hell, I avidly watch 24 and every episode I watch, I must say yeah, but about 50 times... It stretches credibility beyond anything I've ever seen, but damn, I like it anyway.

ticknart said...

Geewits -- Exactly. Still, Emily Procter has me captivated, no matter how much I dislike the rest of the show.

Jazz -- This difference is that 24 has captivating drama as well as being exciting. It's good points outweigh the ludicrous ones. For me, CSI hasn't been able to do that.

heels said...

It's FANTASY. I have a hard time believing that you enjoy fantasy books but can't wrap your head around a show that's set in a universe that resembles our own but is not quite. That's how I watch it, anyway (or did when I watched tv).

ticknart said...

I can wrap my head around the fantasy about it, but the stupid things that these TV "scientists" do just overwhelms my ability to suspend disbelief and therefore just pisses me off.

Of course, maybe it's because I went through a Law and Order, the original one, phase and liked how each department worked together, sometimes stepping on toes, without taking over.

I know the CSI shows are about the guys and gals in the CSI department, but sometime it'd be nice if one of the detectives they work with did more than lay down some exposition at the crime scene and then disappear.

If the shows had better science and kept the super-cop angle, I think I'd be able to enjoy it more. If it had better cop procedure and kept the pseudo-science I'd probably enjoy it more. Unfortunately, they keep doing both. But it's not like my not enjoying the show is keeping it down in the ratings.

ticknart said...

PS Heels, I don't want to seem like I'm bashing the people who do enjoy the CSI shows. When I think about it, I can understand why they like it. I never missed an episode of 3rd Rock From The Sun and I know there are lots of haters of that show and its absurdities out there.

heels said...

No worries- I'm not a CSI lover, exactly. I HATED Miami and New York, and really only stayed with Vegas for the eye candy that is Warrik (YUMMY!!) and because I liked Grissom's character (how can you NOT like a guy fascinated by bugs?).

ticknart said...

I guess that mean CSI doesn't appear on your Netflix list, then.

heels said...

Ummm... No. Black Books? Yes.

ticknart said...

Ohhh, Black Books, goooood. Nice pick.