Thursday, May 29, 2008

Read or Read or Both

I spent nearly three hours sitting in a chair in another office, reading.

Sure, I got up occasionally to mark someone off the docket (that's what they call it over in the other office, we call it a calendar) and make some small talk with an attorney or two, but most of the time was spent reading.

Let me tell you, knowing that I got paid to read for three hours has made me feel so good. Sure, it's a waste of time and money for The State, but it's a job that has to be done because we're borrowing a hearing room in that other office. Someone has to be there.

Is it my fault that there's no computer over there for me to do work on? No.
Is it my fault that I can't put files back on shelves without leaving the office? No.
Is it my fault that I can't do anything that's actually related to my normal job other than small talk with lawyers? No.
So, isn't it the state's choice that I do nothing? Yes. Yes, it is.

Besides, if I had been at my desk I would have spent a total of 30 minutes doing actual work and the rest screwing around on the Internets. That's not nearly as relaxing, nor entertaining as reading a good book.

I wish they'd pay me to read each and every day I'm here.

Where can I get a job like that?

8 comments:

geewits said...

At a publishing house.

Jazz said...

When you've found a job like that, let me know...

Jazz said...

Oh, and Geewits, the problem at a publishing house is that you can't read what you want.

ticknart said...

Geewits -- Along with what Jazz said, you're also expected to write stuff about what you read, so it's not just reading.

Jazz -- I promise to tell you all about it, but I may be pointing and laughing while I do.

Anonymous said...

Umm, hello, you HAVE that sort of job! LOL

ticknart said...

Ummm, no, I don't. I can read stuff on the internet, if I don't get caught, but I'm not allowed to read a book at my desk. I have to at least look like I'm working!

Jazz said...

Isn't it annoying that they expect us to actually work for our paychecks? Pffft.

ticknart said...

It's more annoying that they expect us to pretend to work even though they haven't supplied enough work.