Monday, May 05, 2008

sick, sweet, tight, wicked, crazy, dope, gnarly, sex, shit, bad, insane, phat, awesome, the shit, badass, killer

To say that I've been in a crappy mood for the past six or so weeks would be like saying only some tuna is eaten each year.

I don't know what started it, but I do know how it was exacerbated in late March and since then, I haven't been able to shake the thing.

Also, there are the people at work.

There are three guys near my age. The youngest is maybe two years younger and the oldest is maybe six moths older than me.

When our office was upstairs, I was separated from the other guys by an aisle. Here, I'm place between two of them and they like to talk to each other. That would be okay if they talked about a variety of topics, and they don't.

They talk about video games. All. The. Time.

For most of April they talked about getting new maps for Call of Duty. It was always, "Hey have you downloaded the new maps?" "Nah, I couldn't get on." "Oh, man, they are so sick." "Yeah?" "Yeah. I found this place where I could sit and snipe. I burned so many last night." "Dude?" "Yeah." And me, in the middle trying not to rip my hair out or jump up screaming before I run out of the office.

Okay, so I can occasionally join in, but it's mostly to ask about hardware and the capabilities of the machines and reaction to the controls and such. I don't care about the games.

Then, last week, it got worse. The new Grand Theft Auto came out. Now it's all I hear about. I hear lots of "Did you do... ?" and "Have you got... ?" and "What's up with... ?" and "Did you meet... ?" and "It was so sick when... ." And I am already fucking tired of it.

Yeah, I understand being excited about something. Yeah, I understand really enjoying something. And yeah, I understand wanting to talk about these things with other people who enjoy them, too. I get it. Really.

My problem is when it's the only thing these people talk about.

Well, that's totally true, they do, occasionally, talk about work, but as soon as that's over, the talk moves to a game. The talk about the game last at least three times as long as the work talk did. And everything is "hella" this and "hella" that.

And then they do it again and hour later. And an hour after that. And an hour after than. And when they get back from lunch. And when I get back from lunch. And then... And then... And then...

And then I want to drive my head through the plate glass windows.

10 comments:

Johnny Logic said...

Hell is other people's puerility.

Anonymous said...

if it is bugging you that bad, see if you can trade them spots. I don't know how much time & energy you have invested at your desk, but maybe it would be better if you sat on one side and they sat together. oh and mario kart wii is cool, makes me want to go wiiiiiiiiiiii!

geewits said...

Hmmm, I'm sorry you are suffering, but these people are paying for my house, groceries, and everything else. Gamers are our "bread and butter" so I love those guys!

ticknart said...

John -- I don't know if it's puerility that drive these guys to only talk about video games. It's more like a laziness to know anything else.

Matt -- In our temporary space, movement is impossible. I can trade for a really crappy spot, constantly tromped past by lawyer and others who constantly want to ask you a "simple" question, with one of the guys, or stay where I am.

I'm going to stay.

Also, totally jealous of your Wii and especially jealous of Mario Kart. I keep hoping the goddamn price will come down, but it hasn't. Neither has the price of the goddamn DS.

Geewits -- I have nothing agains gamers. Nothing. My problem is the lack of variety of conversation between these three gamers. I know they have more in common than the games they play.

Play and enjoy the games, fine, but do you really need to spend half the work day talking about playing the games the night before then talking about how the game is and then talking about how you're going to be playing again tonight?

Even I'm not so obsessed with Star Trek and comic books that I don't want to talk about other things with people who are fans, too.

PS How are gamers your "bread and butter"?

Anonymous said...

One of your problems is that you were raised to be intelligent, raise to think, raised to have a variety of interests ... I think you should blame you parents for this problem you're having.

ticknart said...

Okay, then:

GODDAMN PARENTS WHO WANTED ME TO TRY TO BE FULLY ROUNDED HUMAN BEING! WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING!?

Anonymous said...

Atta Boy! You go!
What WERE they thinking!

Anonymous said...

I'm cracking up here. Merlin is looking at me like I'm crazy.

Anonymous said...

I was reading some articles in nintendowiifanboy.com (name sucks, but good site for wii info) and it probably will not go down in price until 2009 as they are releasing Wii Fit this month and still have not met demand for the console. Maybe you can find a used one on ebay, gamestop, or craigslist.

ticknart said...

The Mooooooo -- Well, you are.

Matt -- I think I'm going to do my best to hold out for the rest of the year. I don't need a Wii, I just really, really, really want it.

Thanksgiving. I hope there's some great, or okay, sale on Wiis and DSes around Thanksgiving. If not, after Christmas, I will have the Wii and its Mario Kart. I will.