Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sound and Shadow

About five and a half months ago, I wrote, "I'd like to be a studio musician for my day job and in the evening I paint and draw what ever I want and occasionally sell something."

A few of months later, Rude Cactus asked, "If money was no object, what's your ideal gig?"

After some thought I put my reply up and said, "It's not money that keeps me from doing what, for the moment, I would like to do, it's the fact that that I can't sight-read music, or draw." (Although, honestly, the money would stop me, too. I just don't have to think about the money, at all.)

He wrote back, "Those are luckily things - mostly - you can learn."

The "mostly" is what stopped me from snarking back. Still his comment has stuck with me since first reading it. (Almost as much as a comment my Uncle mad to me at Easter. Cripes.)

On the sight-reading front, I did marching band for three years in high school. Trumpet. I was a competent player. Nothing spectacular. My range went from several bars below the staff to just above the top. On the trumpet, though, the higher, the better. Still, I was very solid backup for the first chair. Give me a third or second part and I could harmonize and support the difficult work the first part played as well as anyone.

I liked being a second or third chair player. We may not have always played the full melody, but the parts were always interesting.

And then one day, in my third year, I was asked by the teacher to try out for the advanced jazz band. (I think it mostly happened because my best friend was the A1, top of the heap, best soprano sax player we had, not because I was really that good, but I was still flattered.) The only thing was that I'd have to try out along with the other possible trumpets. We all showed up one afternoon. He handed us each a piece of music then one at a time told us to stand up and play what we saw.

To say I screwed up insults all the people who screw things up. I was horrible. What I played hardly sounded like music. Oh, sure, there were changes in pitch and tempo and there was some sort of rhythm, but nothing like what appeared on sheet in front of me. The teacher was so embarrassed, or ashamed, at my performance that he hardly spoke to me for the next two weeks. (Which was really a blessing. He was often a creep once you grew out of enjoying his childish behavior.) I wasn't surprised, though, because I knew I couldn't sight-read.

For those who don't know, sight-reading is the act of looking at a piece of music and being able to hear it in your head and then play the tune as you're first looking at it. (Also called sight playing or sight singing.) These people see the note and hear the rhythm they make and pitches they represent and then recreate it. I couldn't, and can't, do either of those things.

I can look at a new piece of music and say, out loud, what the note's called. I can point and say, "That's a quarter note. It's a G flat. Then there's another quarter note, C, followed by a half note tied into a whole note in the next measure, an E." I can't clap the rhythm. I can't hum or sing the correct pitch for any of the notes named. I can read the marks on the sheet, it's not gibberish to me, but I can't tell what it's supposed to sound like.

In college, I took a semester of piano. I worked around my sight-reading problem by having the teacher or her TA play the piece for me before I started practicing the music. That way I'd hear it and when I looked at the sheet, I could hear the music as well as just read it. And I had a lot of fun playing music again. So, when the semester was over, I bought my self a decent keyboard so I could keep practicing.

It didn't work out so well. I could practice and get better at the stuff I already knew, but I couldn't play anything new. I'd leaf through my beginner/intermediate book and look at all the things we didn't play and try my damnedest, but I wasn't playing music. It was just sound.

Eventually, I just stopped. It wasn't fun playing the same things over and over again. I didn't know how to do something new and noodling around got boring.

Other than the ceramics stuff I bought and mixed in with my mother's ceramics stuff, I think that keyboard is the only thing I left at my parent's house after I moved out the last time.

The drawing thing, well, I'll do my best to explain.

I can sketch and doodle and cartoon a little. My people look like people. My faces tend to turn out masculine. And the houses I draw are the simple kind with a big square, a triangle, a rectangle, and a couple of little squares for windows.

One of my problems, when I draw or paint or anything, is that I don't have a steady, consistent hand. I can't consistently duplicate anything. Even when I want to draw the same person, the second drawing looks totally different from the first. Of course, anyone who's seen my hand writing can tell stories about that. The first "a" I write looks similar but distinctly different from the second, from the third, from the last. I suppose that means I have very little control over my hand.

The biggest problem I've found, since I started looking more closely at art and trying to understand it and do it, are shadows.

In most really great drawings and paintings, the artist works like a sculptor. The artist uses the blacks and grays of shadows to carve away the white of the paper and bring out a form. With charcoal or water color they start with the shadow light and then add layer after layer to darken gradually so it shows the curve of the person or object. They see shadows as gradual shifts from white to black.

I see shadows as shapes. After I draw the shape, I have a hard time figuring out how to shade the interior to add depth. Even with art classes, I haven't been able to get past this.

8 comments:

geewits said...

I'm a little confused because I'm musically retarded, but if you can read the notes on the page and know where they are on the keyboard, why can't you play it?

A hundred years ago, my second husband was out of town and my daughter and I decorated a T-shirt for him (it was big at the time). I wanted to do a musical thing because I've always liked drawing musical notes even though I don't know what they mean. As a joke I asked my Brother-In-Law what the opening notes to New Kids On The Block's "Cover Girl" were because my daughter played it all the time and we hated it. Well, he got a copy of the music and I drew it on the shirt and man was I shocked. My husband got home, we gave him the T-shirt (it had lots of other stuff on it too) and he looked at it, laughed and said, "I can't wear this, I hate New Kids on The Block!" So this staff (is that the word?) with 10 note things drawn on it were immediately recognizable to him as a song. I didn't even know that talent (skill?) had a name.

As for the drawing, I feel your pain. My brother can do anything and me? Clueless? It sucks all the more that the gene was THERE and I didn't get it. I just did a sketchfu picture tonight and it was horrible.

Anyway, if your dream job is truly unattainable, you can usually find something close enough to it to make you happy. Best of luck to ya!

Jazz said...

I feel your pain. I'm tone deaf. Completely.

As for drawing, I'd sell my soul to be able to draw. I can see it all in my head, I can see exactly how it should be done but somehow it gets lost between my brain and my hand. I have no clue where it goes wandering off to. It frustrates the hell out of me, expecially since my sister can draw and paint like it's super easy...

It drives me totally insane.

heels said...

I've never been able to effectively sight read either. But, like you, if I hear it first I do a lot better. I used to be able to read music for both bass and treble, but I can't do either any more. I'm more a tab kind of girl now, I guess.

And not all art needs shadows. Sometimes it's just about finding which style of art works best for your abilities. I'm an abstract artist for a reason. Or maybe you should think about taking up b&w photography or something like that.

ticknart said...

Geewits -- Just because a person knows he should hit an F sharp on the keyboard and knows that it's for one out of four beats of the measure doesn't mean he can do it correctly because he's also trying to figure out what to do with the next several notes at the same time so it can sound like a melody. Some people can. I can't. You're husband could.

If I looked at an untitled musical staff, even of a tune I'd heard several times, I couldn't tell you what it was. Your second husband had that skill.

My brother and my mom can do the drawing and painting, too. I look at their stuff and am often awed at their ability. I wonder why I didn't get it?

Jazz -- I'm not tone deaf. I can sing okay and I can, sort of, play by ear, it just takes a long time and I'm never actually sure how accurate the notes I find are.

I go through the same thing with drawing. The picture is in my head. My brain knows where the lines should go. My hand just doesn't put them there.

Heels -- I can still read bass and treble clef, although much more slowly than I used to. I look at tabs and I have no idea what I'm seeing, but I've never tried to learn guitar, so I haven't had reason to learn.

Don't tell me you don't know how to use shadows (which you may not have, but your statement suggests it to me). I've seen your sketchbooks. I've seen how you used shadow to imply the shapes on people. Even in your more abstract works, you use shadow to create shape.

In my experience, almost all drawing and painting use light and darks to imply shapes without needing a heavy line. I just have trouble using it myself.

As for photography, black and white or color... Well, I'm sure this'd piss off Kamice, but it doesn't seem as creative as painting and drawing. Not to me. And I don't mean that it isn't an art or a creative art, but to me the person doesn't really do a lot of creating. He snaps seven or eight or more shots of one thing and then picks the best or most interesting one. 'Course I'm sure major photography enthusiasts would be happy to shout me down for that.

Anonymous said...

Your art is different, unique.
It doesn't need to be like your mother's or brother's.
To me, Art is about you enjoying the making and I, personally, like other people feeling good when they look at art.

You have good color sense, you know what is fun to look at. Start a new trend.

ticknart said...

The Mooooo -- My mother's art and my brother's art are not similar styles and I'm not asking to draw or paint like them, I'd like to have their level of ability when it comes to art. (Or Heel's level or Wings's level or the level of so many other amateur/semi-professional artists out there.)

I don't enjoy much the drawing that I do. I don't paint at all, and haven't really painted since I was little and used watercolor on my Thundercats coloring book, because most painting that isn't simply about expression has a decent understanding of how to create form to underscore the expression and emotion. I'd never want to be like Pollock and just throw colors at a canvas.

Anonymous said...

We'll have to work on you and your style when you come to visit. :-)

ticknart said...

Suuuure.