Monday, August 04, 2008

Budget Woes

Any who perused this place last week probably saw that I may, or may not, have had my pay cut to $6.55 an hour. And if I haven't, I only haven't had it cut until the September. (Although I'm not sure if it's my paycheck for September, which comes out on the 30th, or the check for October which would first be affected.) Something that I haven't mentioned, though, is all the "vets" who keep telling me not to worry about this budget thing and that it happens all the time.

I get that this state never passes a budget on time. It's supposed to be passed in January (to, you know, spell out what spending will be like for the next fiscal year, you know, before the fiscal year actually starts), but it's not late until July 1st. I don't think it's ever been passed before June. If it has, well, color me surprised.

Okay, so the June deadline comes and goes, no big deal. We meander our way through July wondering why the Assembly and Senate are allowed to take time off without a budget passed, but we let it go. All the while, in the back of our heads, we think about what might happen to us in November because usually there aren't any announcements or major concerns until then.

Then it's the last full week in July and there are rumors floating around that the governor is thinking about cutting our pay to minimum wage, not the state's minimum wage, but the federal one which is nearly $1.50 less. We talk and we worry, but very few of us believe that the governor is that desperate. He won't do it. It's just a threat to get the legislature moving.

Besides, if something is going to happen, it'll be more like what's been done in the past. He's going to ask each employee to take a 10% cut in pay, but make up for it in vacation time, like the state did five or so years ago. He's going to do mandatory time off, so we only have a four day work week for a while, like the state did ten or so years ago. Or, if nothing's resolved by December, he's going to shut down all but the most essential government services to force the issue and get a budget passed, like the state did fifteen or so years ago. But nothing like any of those things, will happen until the beginning of October because it'd be nuts to do it in the beginning of August when the budget is only one month late.

And then it's the last day of July and the first day of a new pay period and the man a plurality of people voted to be in charge of the executive branch signs an order that cuts pay to almost all full time civil servants and fires all part timers and student helpers and retired annuitants.

So the employees get outraged, but in a quiet way. We bitch and moan to each other because, for everyone left, pay has been cut drastically. It's the main thing we talk about with our friends and family. Even when we're sick of hearing and talking and thinking about it, it's all we can focus on because it's a big deal. And even though we're whining about the cut, we know that we're lucky because we still have our jobs. We will get paid something. And when the budget gets passed, we get everything back that we lost, except for the interest we would have made while it sat in the bank and the interest we accumulated because some weren't very well prepared and had to use their credit cards to buy food and pay other bills.

When we finally do shut up about the pay-cut, we watch TV or read (yeah, right) the newspaper and we see the average citizen's reaction. Sure, the average person's upset about the lay-offs at the DMV, where probably one third of the workforce is part time, because the hours have been cut and less staff means more time waiting in line. Other than that, they don't care as long as it doesn't inconvenience them too much. Some people even think that state employees are too well paid and we deserve what's happening. While those people may think civil servants deserve a livable wage, they don't think we should get the benefits and retirement package we have because regular folks don't get 'em.

Of course, we all know we're a political football to be tossed around during times of stress, like every single election ever, and then left to go flat in the corner when saying how greedy and horrible we are won't gain any political clout for anyone. We know we piss people off because we enforce the rule and regulations. We know we hurt families when we cut off unemployment or disability payments because the time has run out. We know that we annoy those who make a comfortable living by making them deal with the lines at the DMV. Before we started working for the state, we made all the same jokes everyone else does.

Doesn't mean we like it, though. It's just a shitty part of the job we put up with. I'm sure it happens at every job. At least we come in knowing about it.

This is the first, and probably not the last, time my paycheck is used by jackass politicians. I'm trying not to worry. I'm trying really hard because if I worry I'll start baking and if I start baking I'll start eating because it'd be a waste to eat the baking and I really don't need to do any extra eating.

I do worry, though.

How can I not?

If I do only get $6.55 an hour, my paycheck will have been cut by about two thirds its usual amount. The pay I take home will be less than my rent. Deductions for medical and retirement, which I want, will hurt a lot more.

Yes, I have savings. Right now I have more money saved than I've ever saved in my life. Sure, I wanted to get a new car in a week or two and then take a few days to go to Las Vegas to check out Star Trek: The Experience before it leave on the first of September, but I guess I don't need to do something fun.

5 comments:

ticknart said...

Forgot to write that another thing I'm worried about is that the order freezes hiring and transferring unless it was offered before the order was signed. That means there's no way I'm going to make it to Cowtown, full time, in September. And I was really hopin', too.

heels said...

Overall, I think what sucks the most (and not to diminish how much it affects your life in any way) is that the State is letting, in fact forcing, the very people who they're supposed to be serving take the punishment for their ineptitude. If YOU can't get it together, don't expect ME to pay for it. You shouldn't suffer because they can't do their jobs. It's not silly for you to be upset about not being able to do something fun- you should be able to use your time and your money how you wish. Luckily, you DO have your savings and, at least, won't be crippled by this.

I am most sad, personally, that they are freezing the transfers, but that's just because I don't count on the State for a paycheck.

ticknart said...

I completely agree with what you wrote, but since the ones in charge choose the punishment, they're never going to punish themselves, they're going to punish the people they're supposed to be serving.

It's times like these where I start wondering if there is a better system than the one we have now. Is there? I don't know.

Now the governator is calling for a hike in Sales Tax.

Funny how the current real shortfall is the same as, or more than, the projected shortfall that got the previous governor was recalled for.

Ah, the gift that is celebrity.

Jazz said...

What exactly is so hard about passing a budget? I mean, it's not like they have to stick to it or anything, a government never does...

ticknart said...

The hard part about passing a budget is all the time you have to spend looking like your working to help your constituents while you're actually helping the lobbyists and other special interest groups.

If no one had to look like they were helping regular people, the budget would probably get passed early every year.