Sunday, March 07, 2004

Oscar, Oscar, Oscar!

Okay, this is a little late, but I've been busy. Here's my look at who won the Oscars and what I thought about the show in general.

The funniest thing in the whole show was the beginning where Billy Crystal was in all those different movies. Micheal Moore popping up saying "You have to stop this war. Hobbits, you're fighing a fictional war." had me on the floor laughing. I also enjoyed the songs Crystal sang about the best picture nominees. That was all for the funny, I hope Steve Martin hosts next year, he's the best.

On to the winners (only one of my picks won, by the way):

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Sean Penn - MYSTIC RIVER

Okay. He was nominated three times before and he won for the one he actually showed up for. That's nice.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Charlize Theron - MONSTER

Haven't seen the movie. Don't know if I want to. I heard her called a good rolemodel for women. It's nice that a serial killer can be a rolemodel.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Tim Robbins - MYSTIC RIVER

Okay, he's a good actor. I respect that he won. I almost fell asleep during his speech, though.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Renée Zellweger - COLD MOUNTAIN

Nope. I don't see how she did it. I just don't. Yes, she's a decent actress, but I don't think this was the role that sould have won her an award, that should have been Bridget Jones's Diary. It's like Russel Crowe winning for Gladiator instead of The Insider, what the fuck was that about?

DIRECTING
Peter Jackson - THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Honestly, he should have won for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring because it just felt better. More surprising. More amazing. I don't know what it was, exactly, but that would have been the right time. I guess the academy felt guilty for ignoring the other installment of the trilogy, but they sure made up for it with this year's awards.

MUSIC (SCORE)
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Didn't the music in this film sound exactly like the music in the other two? If it didn't win then, why now? Guilt, plain and simple.

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

It was nominated for three years in a row but only won this year. It shouldn't have. The voters should have know better, too.

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
LOST IN TRANSLATION

Here's where I was most thrilled for the night. I thought this movie was brilliant and the writing was wonderful. This was my happiest moment during the telecast.

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
FINDING NEMO

Okay, I relly like this movie. It's not as good as Toy Story 2, but it was very good. I still laugh at it, a lot.

BEST PICTURE
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Was anyone surprised by the time this one was handed out? I wasn't. I was disappointed.

No comments: