Saturday, July 03, 2004

TRIP!

So, yesterday, I left the madness of Cowcity, for the absurdity of Cowtown. Yes, at this very moment, I’m in my hometown in my parents’ house. The parents are gone. They went on a quasi-religious cruise to Alaska. So, I’m in charge of feeding the cats and fish for them for three days.

Today was a good day.

It started with a trip to my first Starbucks. The place where I couldn’t keep my mouth shut enough and started to have a miserable time so I quit, only to come back to be rehired after the old manager left. It was nice seeing these people. I prefer them to nearly all of the people I work with in Cowcity. The difference is that nearly all the people at the Cowtown ‘Bucks have personality. In Cowcity, many of the people watch the MTV and seem to want to be the people they see. In Cowtown, the people seem much more willing to be themselves, to break out in a spontaneous song about cappuccino foam, or do the “No More Customer” dance (which never worked), or shoot spit-balls at the drive-thru window.

I miss those crazy people.

Next was a trip to Grandma’s house. I was hoping to see an uncle and three cousins who are down from Washington, but they did a strange thing on a hot day and went swimming. I didn’t see them. Instead, I visited with Grandma. Mostly, I listened. I think she just had a lot of stuff that needed to be said that she hasn’t been able to, since my Mom is out of town. It was nice. I learned about lots of relatives and the odd things that they did. That was fun.

After Grandma’s house was a trip to see Johnny Logic and Heels. They’re having a yard sale this weekend, due to all the moving they’ll be doing at the end of the month. We visited. I forgot to bring then the books and movies they loaned me, left them at the house, so I’ll be dropping them off tomorrow on my way back to Cowcity. We talked books, movies, Pittsburgh, moving, my life, their summer job, Douglass Adams, and other whatnot. Eventually, Heels packed up the sale to go to a barbeque, I was also invited. There we ate, we talked, they (all the they there) drank, some they smoked, and I took Spencer to the dirt so he could dig. (He mostly shoveled pine needles and dry leaves then threw them down the hill.) I had a good time.

Tomorrow brings another trip to Grandma’s to try to see cousins and uncle, then to drop of books and movies, then back to Cowcity to work. I may get to see some fireworks from the porch. I hope so.

No comments: