Sunday, September 26, 2004

Trapped

I went to work with a... well it wasn't a negative attitude. I suppose it was about as positive an attitude I can get when I work a closing shift. In the first hour, my attitude turned negative.

I was helping some customer, taking her order, when some guy, who always comes into the store, barged up to the front, ignoring the line, three people. He demanded that we make him a mocha, or something, and threw his credit card at me, not the counter. I told him that I'd help him when it was his turn, and called out the lady's drink. He decided that I was wrong and rude and started yelling at me. I didn't say anything to him and did my best to ignore the nasty language spewed from his mouth. I took the lady's money and started to help the next person in line.

Suddenly, I had a flash of the future: Me, 40ish, still a green apron monkey, being yelled at by a 30-something with crappy hair and a shaved chest.

My feet dragged the rest of the night.

No comments: