Friday, June 09, 2006

Randomness

Yesterday was one set of grandparents' 62nd anniversary. If I double my age, I've been alive less than half the time they've been married. (And I'm their oldest grandchild.) My other set of grandparents have a ways to go before they catch up, and I hope they never do because that would mean that one out of the four has gone missing, and I'd rather not have to deal with that until I'm so old I'll forget all about it the next day. Too bad that won't happen, but it's a nice wish.
I saw a file with the name Jeffrey Johnson Junior. I couldn't help thinking that his middle name is Jackson so when his mom would get angry with him she'd yell, "Jeffrey Jackson Johnson Junior get over here!"

You scored as Suicide. Your death will be suicide. What more can I say? Fact: Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If you want to know how you will commit suicide, take a look at your second highest percentage on the bar graphs.

How Will You Die??
created with QuizFarm.com

My second highest percentage was "disappear." So, you've all been warned.


When I saw A Prairie Home Companion the other day, I was sitting next to this older woman who was busy chatting away with her husband, before the movie, about how much she liked their seats because it was right under the light and she could read. She reached into her bag and pulled out her book and noticed that I was already reading. "You brought a book, too," she said.

"Yup," I said.

"See what I brought." She turned the cover toward me. It was one of those new Little Lulu trades. I smiled.

"It was my birthday present."

"It's a good gift,” I said.

"Can you imagine a 67-year-old woman wanting this as a birthday present?" she asked. "But I did."

"It's a good gift," I said again. "Anyone who doesn't like Little Lulu deserves..." I paused. I wasn't sure if saying "deserves to die" is the kind of thing one should say to a stranger. "Well, I'm not sure what they deserve, but it should be something painful."

She laughed and said, "You are absolutely right." She opened her book and started reading.

I went back to my reading.

Every minute or so I heard her chuckle.
At lunch this week, I've been heading out of the office, going to the south stairwell, climbing to the landing between the fourth floor and the roof access, and sitting there to read. So far, it's the best place I've found for privacy in this town that isn't my apartment or has a toilet to sit on.
Here's a cartoon that I wish were animated and played in every movie theater worldwide.
And now I'm done. Have a decent weekend folks.

3 comments:

ticknart said...

Sorry to say, your math was wrong or I just didn't write clearly enough. If my age was half the amount of time they've been married, I'd be 31. I still haven't hit the 3-0 yet.

As for the quiz, no matter what you answer, you're a suicide. So, the person who wrote it doesn't seem to have much faith in people, does he (or she)?

Anonymous said...

wait, i took the quiz and i got "lost", i think it sorta make sense, i can totally see that happening.

-wings

ticknart said...

Just as long as it's not on an island with a creepy killer cloud and guys who wear fake beards to look like rednecks, right?