Thursday, June 29, 2006

A Moment...

This weekend, I watched the movie French Kiss. My parents bought it in the cheap movie bin at Wal*Mart and after watching it decided that I'd really like it. Why? Because I'm a fool for a good romantic comedy. One for my favorite movies is Sleepless in Seattle. It makes me melt each time I watch it.

Anyway, I watched French Kiss and thought it was alright. (I didn't like the guy the girl was supposed to fall in love with; he was way too arrogant.) But there was this moment that just made me think, "Yeah. That's what I want."

The part is when the girl is dancing with the guy she want's back (who is an ass). They've just finished talking and have been dancing at a distance. The camera cuts to a medium shot so you can see them from mid-calf all the way up, and they move closer together. It's not him pulling her in, but a mutual thing. Then she puts her head on his chest and he lowers his chin to touch her. And the camera lingers for a while, just letting them be the moment. The only thing that matters is the being together. (If the director had been willing to let go of the realism for a moment, everything around the couple would have faded to black leaving the two of them there dancing before the whole scene faded to black.)

I want a moment like that. A simple moment with someone that feels right. A moment where the only thing that matters is that you are there together. A moment where the world doesn't matter.

(That makes me sound like a girl, doesn't it?)

It's a moment that, right now, I don't ever see myself having.

There's no need to reassure me that I will, or anything like that. I'm not so insecure that when I say "negative" things about myself that I want everyone to tell me the opposite of what I say to make me feel better. When I write these "negative" things, I'm only trying to be honest with myself.

For now, I know I won't have this moment because I'm not trying to find a girl to have this moment with. If I was trying, perhaps I'd see a moment like this in my future. But I'm not, so I don't. And that's just fine with me, for now, at least.

But still... Seeing that one bit in the movie, that lasted maybe thirty seconds, just made my whole being ache.

1 comment:

ticknart said...

I was thinking that from the moment I started writing it, but sometimes it's just the way I am.