Friday, June 23, 2006

Venting

Today, The Supervisor is not at work. I think it's her regular day off. She does the whole work nine hours a day four days a week to get every other Friday off, thing. (I'm not allowed to do it, though, just in case someone is needed at the front counter.) Which is why I was okay with fooling around with the look of my blog for so long while I was supposed to be working. It's like taking a day off of work, but being at work. Although, I finished all my work before I started fiddling around with the thing, so I guess it's not.

Anyway, SHTK has been out all this week, but came in today. She has walking pneumonia. So, she was sick all of last week, too, but kept coming into work because all it feels like is a cold or mild flu. (I had walking pneumonia when I was in ninth grade. I know what it's like.) The first thing she did, since she's not much of a web crawler, was peruse her e-mail. When she was almost finished, I heard her say, "Oh, my god." and sigh a huge sigh.

I knew what got her. Yesterday, right before five, The Supervisor sent out an e-mail detailing new duties, which the secretaries came up with, that we clerks have to do. One of them involves SHTK doing all of a certain type of calendaring. While she may have the password to get to do this, she's not supposed to. When this office was short staffed she did all the calendaring, now that we have more people than we need, she's not supposed to do any unless The Supervisor isn't here. Now, since the secretaries don't want to do it anymore, she's supposed to set certain thing, of which we usually get two or three a day. The oddest thing about making SHTK set this is that The Supervisor and JSIC have interviews about 15 people to take the calendaring position and to become The New Supervisor. (When that happens, The Supervisor will either become Uber Supervisor or some acronym, I haven't decided yet.)

SHTK leaned my way and we talked about her new job. And then we talked about the other new things that we clerks are going to do. Basically, we're going to be doing all the things that the secretaries don't like to do. Mostly, this means that there will be a lot more to potentially blame on us peons.

Eventually, the talk turned into venting. We were the only two in the area, so we could speak pretty freely about the stupid things that the higher-ups are doing. It was a pretty long conversation and I think we exhausted most of the subjects in stupidity. Unfortunately, I didn't feel better when it was over. I felt worse. I realized that there's nothing I can do.

I swear, if I pass one of the tests to get a promotion, I will only do it in another office. If I don't get that promotion, but find a transfer opportunity close by, I'm going there. If there isn't a transfer opportunity close by, once I save enough money for a first and last month's rent plus deposit, I'm leaving this town and I'm not planning on looking back.

1 comment:

ticknart said...

Yeah, I made it. I took it away because I didn't like how pixelie it looked. I want to shrink it so it'll look good when it's small.