Thursday, June 01, 2006

Superman Returns

I've been listening to clips of music from the new Superman movie.

It sounds wonderful.

Which worries me.

Why? (Someone out there must be asking that question.)

It worries me because I don't want to get too excited and expect too much out of this movie. Like I did for Star Wars.

When the original Star Wars trilogy was put back into theaters as the special edition, it was amazing, for me at least. I had spent most of my life watching and re-watching those three movies with my brother on a video tape that was wearing out, but still played. Sitting in the dark theater, seeing the words "A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away", and then hearing the fanfare gave me chills. I never thought I'd see these movies on the big screen. It was everything I'd hoped for. (Except for the Jabba scene, which I did my best to ignore.) Later, I found out that the prequels were being made and I thought that there would be a new Star Wars for my generation. There wasn't though. In general, the prequels sucked and that moment of euphoria I felt seeing the original was gone.

When I saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire last November, the euphoria returned. I heard Jor-El offering his son advice. I heard a play on John Williams's original score. I saw the greatest superhero of them all hanging over the Earth, watching and then streaking off to save someone. I had the chills again.

I've never gotten to see Superman on the big screen. I wish Warner Bros. had sent it to the theater when they released the DVD. I would have been there just to see him catch the helicopter and to hear Lois say, "You've got me. Who's got you?"

I hope the new one is worth it. I hope it's everything I want it to be and more.

2 comments:

Lebatron said...

I think they're going to screw the new Superman movie up.

Check out my site. I just recently published "The Famous Pyromania Story". Give it a look and let me know what you think.

ticknart said...

Lebarton, I have to admit that "The Famouse Pyromania Story" disturbed me some. But it's to be expected, I tend to be one of those whiney "guys [who] don’t even deserve their dicks," as you put it. I'm okay with that. I did dig your Scientology stuff and thought that "The Search for Real Men" was funny. Although I'd argue about "real men" not gossiping. I've been around men who would beat the shit out of anyone who said they weren't real men, these guys were all corrections officers at a high security facility in the desert near the Salton Sea in California, who spent a lot of their time together drinking beers and gossiping about their wives and the other guards at the prison. It was petty, stupid gossip.

Blog Dog, the Superman story may be told over and over again, but I still want this one to be spectacular.