Monday, September 17, 2007

Robert Jordan Has Died

Last March, he was diagnosed with amyloidosis. Yesterday, Sunday, he died.

I'm sure that someone out there will pick up the rest of book 12 and finish it via his notes. A Memory of Light, in some form will be released within a couple of years. I have no doubt of that. (Just look at what Tolkien has put out since his death.) What I'm really sad about is this:
I sat down and figured out how long it would take me to write all of the books I currently have in mind, without adding anything new and without trying rush anything. The figure I came up with was thirty years. Now, I'm fifty-seven, so anyone my age hoping for another thirty years is asking for a fair bit, but I don't care. That is my minimum goal. I am going to finish those books, all of them, and that is that.
That's a lot of stories lost.

6 comments:

heels said...

That SONOFABITCH!!
Arrgh!

ticknart said...

I knew you'd react like that.
*Tee-Hee*

Jazz said...

Pity.

But honestly, I think his series has been going on for WAAAAY to long. Maybe they'll let it die with him.

But probably not. Look forward to volume 348 coming in 20 years to a bookstore near you.

ticknart said...

Jazz -- It sure has been going on too long.

And no, they won't let it just fizzle out with this. He's been working on stuff for the last two years and there's money to be made by having someone else finish the book. Just look at all the Dune books that have been released in the last ten years that are supposedly based on notes from Frank Herbert.

Hopefully, they'll play it smart and only publish the 12th volume and leave it alone after that. I doubt that's what'll happen, but I'm going to hope.

heels said...

I just want it wrapped up. I don't really care so much who does it. If they don't do it, I bet fans will.

ticknart said...

I know that's what you meant, Heels. It's just that my first thought was, "Shit, how much longer am I going to have to wait to see the end." and my second thought was, "I bet [Heels] will want to strangle some kittens over this news." I think I was right.