Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Color Competition

I got into an argument with people in the office this morning.

Sometime this winter, our office is going to be remodeled and JSIC was nice enough to want to include everyone in the decision for the color scheme for the office. On Thursday we got the samples and on Friday we were told to vote on the ones we liked. We had our choices of carpet colors, desktop colors (although their not sure if it'll be for the desks everyone will be sitting at or the front counter that the people come to), and the colors (and patterns) the fake walls.

I went through all the samples carefully and picked my three favorites. Honestly, none of them were very nice, many really awful, and I really just don't care. Nothing will be perfect. Still I picked the ones that I liked and I thought went together well, mostly grays and blues, without any god damned leaves on anything.

Yesterday, while I was gone (I left at noon), JSIC sorted through the votes and decided that it was stupid to have 20 people come up with 20 different schemes and let his secretary go through the choices and pick the ones that seemed to sort of appear the most and put them together.

This morning, before I sat down at my desk, I was accosted by JSIC's secretary, SLFC, and told that I have to vote by nine so that the top two, out of the four created yesterday, would get a runoff. I told her okay, sat down at my desk and proceeded not to vote. In fact, I told the five other people in the front office that they can use my vote for the one they like. (TMSV did and got yelled at by like four people for doing it. HA!)

That round of voting ended and two groups tied for second place, so there were three choices in the last round. The last round was supposed to go from 9AM to 10:30AM. When I left the break room at 10:15, I stopped to look at the choices and just like I thought, they were bad. Colors didn't match well and one of them had fucking leaves.

At 10:30, SLFC came out front and asked me if I voted.

I said no.

She said I needed to go and vote.

I said I wasn't going to.

She said I had to.

I said I didn't have to.

She looked at me with her mouth agape before telling me, again, that I had to vote.

I said that I wasn't going to vote because I didn't like the choices.

She said I had to pick one.

I said I didn't because I didn't want any of the schemes and I didn't have to vote for something I didn't like.

TMSV stood up and said that she took the vote she made for me out so I could vote.

I said that was good since I didn't want any of the choices.

TMSV glared at me, like I had slapped her in the face after she had bought me a nice lunch.

She sighed and then asked me to at least put a slip of paper in the box that said "none" on it.

I said fine, got up, and went to the back to vote.

KWSD came around the corner just before I turned and asked me which one I was voting for.

I told her none of them.

She asked me if I like the stuff we have now.

I said no, but I'd rather have bland crappy colors I'm used to than a mismatched colors I'm not, and continued on my way.

PABL saw me heading toward the box and asked me which one I was voting for.

I told her none of them.

She asked me why.

I said I didn't like the choices.

She asked me to vote for the one she likes.

I told her no.

She looked like she wanted to drill holes through my head and listen to the screams.

I voted "none."

Hours later, the colors were announced. They are a carpet that's red and black (more red than black), a desktop that's tan, and fake wall colors that are a periwinkle blue. The other choice weren't any better.

9 comments:

heels said...

That sounds unbelievably horrible. The colors, the situation- everything.

Red, black, tan, and periwinkle blue? Barf.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, those colors sound just lovely. Maybe those colors were chosen so that everyone will be staying away from your office? No customers?

geewits said...

What a waste of time. And you're a guy! Geez.

ticknart said...

Heels -- It was more stupid than horrible. At least I don't have to put up with the colors until sometime in March or April, depending on when they finish.

Mooooo -- I think it's to drive the people who come here into a psychotic frenzy so the new glass over the front counter can be put to a field test.

Geewits -- What does being a guy have to do with it? It was a waste of time for the women here, too.

Jazz said...

OK, that is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Just someone make a damn decision already!

But I suppose that they figured this way no one could bitch about the choice. They will though

ticknart said...

Jazz -- I think that they thought we would actually come to some sort of consensus. Morons.

heels said...

You mean you'll be gone before the new colors come in, right?!

Anonymous said...

Heels, we can cross our fingers for him!

ticknart said...

Heels and Mooooo -- I've pretty much given up on that right now. First I'm going to try to heal myself a bit, then I'll start hunting for another place to work. Not gonna even think about applying anywhere until late December.