Monday, November 05, 2007

DST

Yesterday ended daylight saving time here in the US of A.

In the past, I've cheered the ending of DST because, for a while at least, it feels like I get an extra hour of sleep each night. Yeah, I know that I'm still going to sleep at the same time as I was last week and I know that I haven't changed the time my alarm goes off for nearly two years, so I'm still in bed for the same amount of time, but it feels later because what was 7 o'clock yesterday is 6 o'clock today and my body's not used to it, yet.

Today, though, I find myself wishing that this state, if not the whole nation, choose one time and stuck with it all year long.

I don't care if it's standard time or DST, I'd just like consistency.

Maybe if we split the difference and set all of our clock a half hour ahead?

8 comments:

heels said...

It makes no difference to me because Cole gets up at the same time, anyway. Toddlers don't know the meaning of "sleeping in."

ticknart said...

It must get frustrating if he's antsy to get going to school and it's still an hour away.

geewits said...

They should stay with DST. It's actually been discussed in congress. But what hasn't?

ticknart said...

Geewits -- I have no faith in congress, but maybe one day the states'll get on it and choose.

Anonymous said...

If daylight saving is now longer than standard, doesn't that make daylight saving standard?

Do we need a new name for standard time?

ticknart said...

AE -- The way I figure it is that Greenwich Mean Time is "standard time" and everything else is just adding and subtracting hours, or parts of hours, from there. So, in CA "standard time" is GMT-8:00 and DST will always be GMT-7:00.

Hell, in Greenwich itself, for DST, they're on GMT+1:00, odd but true.

Jazz said...

Personally, I like to wander around in the daze of Jazz time. Unfortunately the real world intervenes more often than not.

ticknart said...

Jazz -- The "real world" is a bitch that way, isn't it.