Thursday, November 08, 2007

I&A Stands for Ineffective and Asshole

An injured worker came in earlier. He wasn't here to cause problems, he just wanted some forms to fill out and a little advice.

I did my usual song and dance routine to try to get him to speak with the Information and Assistance Officer before he did anything so he'd have someone knowledgeable to give him some advice also because I don't like doing the work of the I&A guy, I'm not trained for it and it's not my job. He said to me, "I don't know who you have here, but if it's that short, weaselly guy..."

I nodded and said, "Balding?"

"Yeah," said the man who came in, "I don't want to be... Well, when I came in before he was kind of rude to me."

I nodded again and muttered, "Yeah, he's like that."

So I got his SSN and found out some of his information online. I gave him this info and asked if he'd spoken to his attorney about what he wants to do.

He launched into his story about how long it's taking (I explained that it usually takes a long time, often years and year.) and how the attorney he had isn't working on his case any more and now he's stuck with some young guy (I explained that his old attorney is semi-retired and moved to another law firm.) and then he launched into a story about going to see a doctor. That was when I just stood there listening and trying to make understanding noises at the appropriate pauses.

Eventually, he finished up and I pointed out where he could find the forms he needed. I still recommended he speak with I&A before he does anything and I reminded that if he was going to dismiss his attorneys that he go there and get all the information they have on his case because he'll need it.

He thanked me and said that it was nice coming in here and being treated so well.

I made a joke. I said, "Well we just want to show everyone who comes in here that not all state agencies are like the DMV."

He smiled and said, "Yeah, but even that other guy... he was... well, he was a jerk and you just made this so easy." Then he decided to launch into a story about visiting with I&A before and slid back into his current dilemma. Eventually, he thanked me and left.

As I headed back to my seat, the lead clerk person thanked me for the way I handled the guy and said I did a good job.

I thanked her for that and sat down angry because, as I've written before, in any place it only takes one employee who deals with regular folks to ruin the reputation of any office or business, private or public, and I know exactly who it is in this office. And I've known since my third week here. And the whole thing just pisses me off. (There's more back story to this rational/irrational anger from a meeting we had last week, but I didn't want to get into it then and I don't want to write about it now.) I really wish he'd get fired, or even promoted so he'd have to work in the city instead of here or I'd finally get hired somewhere away from here. Anything to get him out of the office I work in.

4 comments:

geewits said...

Give me more information, something to visualize, and I'll wish him away for you. I've wished away two of my best friend's obnoxious co-workers. I discovered this unique talent the summer after 8th grade. They don't die or anything. They just go somewhere else.

Jazz said...

Give Geewits the info. If it works, I have a few people for her to "disappear" for me.

ticknart said...

Geewits -- He's about five eight and bald with a gray fringe and a cowlick, really skinny and jittery. He also wears pretty thick glasses. Anything else?

Jazz -- Done.

geewits said...

I'll see if that works