Thursday, October 23, 2003

Ultimate Spider-man 48: Suspended

Hot diggity damn, I love having a good comic to read, and this has to be one of the best.

I started late with the whole Ultimate line from Marvel because at the time I had no money. When I got money, I started to pick it up. Now I'm back to having no money, but I can not put these books down. So far, all the books I've read have been above the regular bar, but this is one of the highest.

Okay, last issue poor Peter was fired from his job. This issue he yells at JJJ and gets fired again. King Pin, who was arrested because he murdered someone and it was taped, is freed from prison. And Peter freaks out a little bit.

The great about this book is always Bendis's writing. He's not afraid to fill his pages up with wonderfully witty dialogue. The scene where Aunt May makes her phone call, amazing. That's another thing, he makes someone as potentially lame as Aunt May and makes her one of the coolest characters. She has a personality, she's confused by the things Peter does and doesn't do, and she's trying to make things better. Wonderful.

For most of the book, Bagley's art is good. There is this one picture on the third (or fourth, depending on how you count) of Spider-man swinging that just looks all wrong to me, but I can forgive. The art isn't his strength anyway. His strength lay in his storytelling. The way each panel flows from one to the next and the great expressions.

This issue is light on the Spider-man, but heavy on the story and character development, which are the kind that this book excels at.

No comments: