Thursday, June 30, 2005

Chruning

About a month ago, while I was house sitting, I re-met this girl from highschool. I didn’t really know her then because we didn’t have any classes together, maybe one, but I had my own little corner with friends that I wasn’t about to leave. She came into ‘Bucks and we talked for a while and then she gave me her number and e-mail on a napkin.

After she left, I started to freak out. I didn’t know what to do.

That night, I woke up, still freaked out, but decided that I should e-mail her. I figured it’d be nice to have someone around who I could do things with, who’s near my age.

In the morning, I couldn’t find the napkin. Instead of writing her, I wrote to someone I trusted to get some advice that could help me stop freaking out. It did. A couple of days later, doing laundry, I found the napkin in a pocket, big surprise. I e-mailed her right away and we set up a trip to Mooville to see a movie.

We went and I think I wasn’t the only one who had fun talking on the trip there and back. I liked hearing her thoughts on the movie. It had been a long time since I’d been to a movie with someone who would say more than whether or not she liked it. This girl had actual opinions and was willing to support them. Finally.

During the movie, I thought, at one point, about taking her hand. I didn’t.

After the drive back, we walked from my grandparent’s house and went to dinner on the main street in the Town of Jim. It was so-so Mexican. I wasn’t really hungry, probably because I was nervous. I didn’t finish all of my food, which is odd for me.

We walked back and stood near her car talking for a while. We said our good-byes. She stood in a way that seemed odd to me at the time. I started walking backward toward the house, waving. She got in the car and drove away. I suddenly realized that maybe, just maybe, the way she was standing meant she wanted a hug. Then I started to obsess over it, which is never good. I’m still obsessing over it, which is why I’m up so early in the morning writing this before I go to work.

I don’t initiate the touching thing. To the best of my recollection, I never have. I do my best to slide around people in tight places without touching them (a hard feat with a belly). I learn new peoples’ names at work right away so I don’t have to touch them to get their attention (Hell, I’m not comfortable with people at work touching me to get my attention.). I don’t start the handshakes when I meet, others do (but I will grab with my left hand to make it awkward). I hate it when people feel the need to kiss hello; I let them do it to me, but don’t do it back. When family says good-bye, I never initiate the hug, they do with arms spread and a step toward me.

I’m not sure why I’m this way, I just am. Only my parents can say if I’ve always been this way.

Anyway, we’re going to see a play tonight, A Comedy of Errors, and tomorrow night, Hamlet. It’s an outdoor theater and we’re picnicking before.

My stomach is churning.

5 comments:

heels said...

You do know that what you're doing to yourself is the only thing that could harm the fun you might otherwise have. Stop planning for what you think will happen and just go with what does happen. If you're uncomfortable you'll not only not have as much fun but you'll make her uncomfortable too. You're a good guy and she knows it or she wouldn't be going with you at all. Buck up, babe. It's real life, not the movies. Nobody expects you to be perfect and have your lines memorized.
love.
~heels

ticknart said...

Great advice! Listen to "~heels"!
The Mooooooo

Anonymous said...

Oops, I forgot to click the Anonymous button. Sorry about that.
The Mooooo

Johnny Logic said...

Josh,

Have fun!! Oh, and say 'hi' for me-- she was an excellent person to sit next to in advanced bio.

Anonymous said...

I agree, don't think too much. seems like you are enjoying yourself, so just keep it up! You're doing great. Continue having a good time and she will too.

What's happening on July 12-13, are you coming to the bay area??

-wings