Monday, August 07, 2006

Today vs. Tomorrow

Once (Well, really several times, but that's just not a great way to start anything, is it?), someone told me not to worry about tomorrow, only think about today because today is really all there is.

I immediately went on the defensive and pointed out that eventually tomorrow would eventually become today, so isn't thinking and worry about tomorrow actually thinking and worrying about today, just in advanced.

He just smiled at me and the conversation ended right there. He knew I was just being argumentative because I didn't want to actually talk about what was wrong with me.

The reason I worry about tomorrow so much is because at least I can pretend that tomorrow will be better than today. Today is more or less stuck the way it is. There's very little I can do to change today, but I can lie to myself and convince myself that I'm going to do something, anything, to make tomorrow better. Unfortunately, doing that is sometimes very reassuring, even though I'm pretty damn sure I'm not actually going to do anything to make tomorrow any better than today.

But, then again, maybe I will. There's no way to know until tomorrow actually becomes today. Is there?

No comments: