Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Cuh-ruh-iced.

Cuh-ruh-iced. It's just been a day. Nothing big has happened, just lots of minor things. Things that separately would be annoying, but together they just build upon one another. At least it's quieted down. The building has ceased and the pressure is slowly being released. I'm just going to focus on buying comics this evening and spaghetti for dinner. (Although I'm not using spaghetti noodles. I'm using shells. They're easier to handle.) Unfortunately, it's hard to block out the smell of the lavender soap that was being used to clean the potted plants out in the lobby. Steen-kay.

I've mentioned this to a few people, but I don't think I've written it here, but I really didn't like the second ending to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I know that Rowling wanted to show the audience that Tom Riddle was really dead and that she wouldn't be writing any more Harry vs. Voldemort books. She also wanted to show that Harry has finally had the life he's always wanted with a family that loves him.

I understand all of that, but it wasn't a good ending. It was so saccharine. And the way that Harry named his kids after his parents and people he respected made me wonder if Ginny has any say in their marriage at all. Why didn't she insist they name one of their kids Fred after the twin that died? (Oh, sorry, SPOILER ALERT!)

The best thing about the second ending is that Rowling didn't tell us what jobs they all ended up with in the book (Although, apparently she did in interviews and such. Looks like Ron is still in Harry's shadow, rather than doing something for himself. Sad.) so I, and all the other readers, can decide for myself where they ended up working.

The one thing that would have saved the epilogue would have been if Dudley Dursley had been at Platform 9 3/4 with his wife sending a child off to Hogwarts. That would have ruled. And it would have allowed her to finish this book in a similar way to all the other books, with Harry and the Dursleys together.

Ah, well. Hindsight and all that.

No comments: