Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"MY VETO!"

The beginning of this article:
California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger risked further political isolation yesterday when he announced that he would veto a budget deal reached by Republicans and Democrats in the state legislature.

The deal aimed to put an end to an 80-day impasse over the state's $15.2bn (£8.4bn) budget gap. But Schwarzenegger rejected the compromise dubbing it a "tax increase with a smoke screen on it", and saying that it would push the problems into next year.

"It kicks that can down the alley," Schwarzenegger told a press conference in Sacramento. "I say enough is enough. Californians have been through this roller-coaster ride too many times and so this is why, when they send me a budget, I will veto it."

But legislators from both parties promised to oppose a veto and immediately return the budget to the governor's desk. Assembly leaders professed confidence that they could muster the two-thirds majority necessary to challenge the governor.

In turn Schwarzenegger said he would respond by sending "the hundreds of bills that sit on my desk back to legislators with my veto".
This month, I was supposed to get my yearly pay increase.

3 comments:

geewits said...

I guess he didn't get your letter. It's probably on his deck under all that other stuff.

Jazz said...

This is totally ridiculous it is.

And Geewits comment had me laughing out loud.

ticknart said...

Geewits -- I like to think that, since he doesn't care, he used it to light one of his cigars.

Jazz -- Yes, it is. In fact, this is the longest a budget has ever been overdue.