Sunday, February 29, 2004

Partner of the Month

Last night, I walked in to work and discovered that I was made partner of the month by my coworkers. (I had never heard of this phenomenon until I moved to Cowcity and thought that it may be only my story until ~o posted the story about a balloon. I saw it and thought maybe it was a joke of some sort, but the shift assured me it wasn't and encouraged me to open the card, which contained a gift thingee for Jamba Juice. Yum.

Here's what the sign thing says:

Congratulations to our
Partner of the Month

Josh

Josh your time with us this far has
been amazing. We are son thankful to
have you as part of our team. Your
hard work and dedication to the
company really shines through! Thank
You!



I decide a response was necessary, but instead of just asking, "Why the hell did you pick me? Is it because I'm new? Are you just sick of the other people you've worked with for so long?" I wrote an acceptance speech. Here it is:
A note from Josh written Saturday 28 February 2004

'Tis the season for long winded, insincerely modest, and boring thank you speeches (what with the Oscars tomorrow night). So, I thought I'd do one too. Here we go...

"Oh... My... Goodness! This is SUCH a surprise!

"I'd like to start by giving my thanks to everyone who voted for me. I never thought that sophisticated city folk could be so nice to a silly country boy.

"I'd like to thank The Company for taking a chance on an out-of-work school boy, employing him, and teaching him more about coffee than he ever wanted to know.

"I'd like to thank my first three managers for not firing me, even though I am often annoying and a know-it-all.

"I'd like to thank Annie for personally taking a chance on this wide-eyed stranger who still gets lost driving home from work and school.

"And lastly, I'd like to thank the big man, the father and son, Homer Simpson (seasons two through eight). You are a true inspiration to us all.

"Thank you all and Good Night!"
Annie is my manager, by the way.

Okay, I'm off to work again. Maybe there'll be some reaction. I can only hope.

No comments: