Monday, October 22, 2007

Copay

I leave here in twenty-five minutes, at eleven. I have an appointment at noon. Well, it's not really an appointment, it's supposed to be more of a screening and after I go through the screening, a written thing and then meeting with a doctor for twenty or thirty minutes, the people there will decide whether or not I can then go on to make an actual appointment.

I think I understand why it's done. They don't want people to abuse the system and therefore cost them more money. It makes sense. And it's a lot easier to just force everyone to be screened than set up some sort of trust based system. Still, I don't want to pay the copay (even though it is pretty damned reasonable) for a screening so I can go back for a regular appointment and pay the copay again.

I guess that's life, though.

8 comments:

geewits said...

That's "the system" and you can never beat the system.

Jazz said...

Well at least you have a system. The much touted free Canadian health system is bullshit. Well, yeah, it's free, but finding a doctor? Good luck. Mr. Jazz needed a doctor a week or so ago for an infection and even his own clinic wouldn't take him on a walk in basis because his Dr. wasn't there that day. We had to call five or six places to find one that would see him. At one point we were told to go to the ER - which would have meant at least a 10-15 hour wait since a UTI isn't considered an emergency - and it isn't compared to a stabbing or a road accident. Over 50% of the population in Quebec (including me) don't have a GP. You can fuggedabout yearly physicals...

Um... oops, sorry for the rant...

ticknart said...

Geewits -- Not even with a wet noodle?

Jazz -- Feel free to rant, if you want, I'm good with that.

As for the actual rant, I can't compare what you say to what goes on here, I've never tried the emergency room (although I'm told if I go outside of my HMO, I'll get to pay the charges, unless they give me permission) so I don't know what the wait is like for any kind of injury. I do know that my HMO won't do same day appointments. If I think I'm really sick or something, I'm supposed to go to the ER and not try to see the doctor they assigned me.

It's like they don't do medical care really well anywhere and we all just kind of have to hope it'll get better everywhere, isn't it?

Jazz said...

Where is Dr. Welby when you need him...

Anonymous said...

Dr Welby ... Oh, he was SO cute!!!!

ticknart said...

Jazz and Moooooo -- Who's Dr. Welby? Was he some TV doctor like Ben Casey or Doctor Kildare?

Anonymous said...

Tick - Dr. Kildare was a TV doctor played by Richard Chaimberlain in his very young days at the beginning of his acting career. *hubba-hubba*

I actually have a story book (with pictures [line drawings]) somewhere around here that I got from Aunt Judy when she outgrew it.

ticknart said...

Moooo -- I know who Doctor Kildare was, but not who Dr. Welby was. Was Dr. Welby a TV doctor, too?